Discuss New rewire and fuse board - views on work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Debrahim

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I’d appreciate views on the fuse board.

It’s been completely rewired and I’m unhappy with the quality.

I’ve messaged him about it and described the board as a complete mess, and poor workmanship ship. For entry for the 25mm cables and 16mm tails he used the knock out but didn’t bother using the plastic cable holder - which is a couple of quid.

Also with the cables coming in through the back, there is no plastic or anything so the metal of the board could rub against the metal of the board.

his reply is below

a. - there is a reason why cables shouldn't be perfectly arrange in the fuse box because it could create electromagnetic field resulting in humming sound in the fuse box- you would probably think that's ridiculous ! But it's a fact!

Quite frankly I’m shocked, would you be happy with the work, paying over 4k? And supplying the board all second fix items etc? So basically 5k?

He has also created 5 additional lighting circuits downstairs, I live in a three bed terraced house.

1) for 6 down lights in a 2.5m x 2m room.
2) just the ground hallway light.
3) the lounge dinner, two lights and two wall lights.
4) a porch light and floodlight.
5) under stairs light simply 2 lights.

His reply is that it is is better… but then it’s all on a dual rcd so it doesn’t really help in my opinion.

We agreed the whole of downstairs on a circuit except the hallway on a separate one. (He said that was best practice.

I’ve attached photos and the pieces that I believe should go there. One is too big.

Attachments

• 524CC7D8-A048-4BC8-90DD-E2F06AE59EFF.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 101
  • C4DC1E06-3B9A-41F4-9248-9C59CC8D36C1.png
    325.7 KB · Views: 98
Yes it doesn't look great and dual rcd consumer units are not recommended for residential installations. Has this been done by an electrician or a builder who think they are an electrician.
You say it has been completely rewired yet there are cables with red and black cores.

8 circuits on one RCD - that's not good.

Decent quality board though. And an SPD fitted.

Cracking excuse for untidy wiring - it avoids electromagnetic interference making the fuseboard hum!!

Last edited:
If those cables lashed down the wall is the 'finished job' then I would not be happy

Needs some plastic trunking and a good general tidy up

Yes it doesn't look great and dual rcd consumer units are not recommended for residential installations. Has this been done by an electrician or a builder who think they are an electrician.
You say it has been completely rewired yet there are cables with red and black cores.
I’ve noticed this and have pointed this out.

He is a niceic registered electrician which I’ve verified with them.

I’ve also noted that if the fuse on the right goes I will loose both power and lights to the upstairs and third floor (loft).

As an electrician would you be satisfied with the standard of work ? He deems it good quality and states he’s been registered for 15 years.

I’ve checked on the website, he’s part P. I found him on my builder with over 100 reviews and 100% positive rating.

You say dual rcd is not recommended. If im honest I didn’t want to spend the money on a rcbo- there are 14 circuits.

If I wanted to change this to a rcbo, could I simply buy the rcbo’ or would I need to install a whole new board ?

Is it possible in this fuse board to add a third rcd, to split some of the stuff, in case one trips etc ?

Or even is it possible to put an rcbo in there? Obviously I know it would need to come before the RCD.

Perhaps just for upstairs sockets so we have some power in an emergency.
Assume that's the before it was rewired ?
no this is after the rewire.

This individual should not have installed a dual rcd consumer unit and the fact there are cables with red and black cores indicate it has not been fully rewired.

The board has 3 neutral bars, so it should be possible to fit one or more RCBOs between the main switch and the first RCD.

But one more comment - the board seems pretty full. It is good practice to leave several spare ways for future use, for the stuff you might need in the future but haven't yet thought of.

To clarify he wanted to supply and fit some crap board.

I BOUGHT the HAGER board and chose it with SPD protection.

I agree that there are too many circuits on the one RCD.

I’m refusing to pay him the final payment - he is going to come around and sort it.

The Idea was to have several spare ways but for ground floor lighting he has used 5 circuits !!!

The Idea was to have several spare ways but for ground floor lighting he has used 5 circuits !!!

There's nothing wrong with having lighting broken down into so many circuits, although it is very likely to be pointless. As you've stated, a fault to earth will take them all out, along with every other circuit protected by the same RCD.

How has it been fully rewired with all those red and black circuits in there?
that’s a total dogs dinner, is that actually the finished job or halfway through the job?

as said above, if that’s the CU your working with, maybe 3 or 4 rcbos at the front would help a bit to split the circuits up

what’s the deal with the plastic Hager board below and the wylex one hanging of the wall to the left?

Last edited:
As others have said, red and black hasn't been used for new installations since 2007.

If it was a rewire, then carpets up, boards up, decorating after. Different than just changing the board.
If it was a full rewire, id be checking more than just the board....

Come to think of it.... why is the cover off?

Never fitted a Hager board with SPD but something doesn't look right. Is that how the lower supply is connected and is there a cpc to it, the galvanised link across the top of the earth terminals looks odd.

Last edited:
If I were to attend any domestic job and the home owner tells me that the property is FULLY RE_WIRED and I drop the lid off the board to find loads and loads of red and black cable then it has not been FULLY RE_WIRED.
As for the dogs dinner of a new board well some sparks just dont care and the board is pretty standard to what I find on a weekly basis.
The lashed in cables could have been made to look much neater and as I mention above 25 quids worth of plastic trunking up the all would have made it look at least like they gave a Sh!t

This is the question.

Apart from being a little untidy, does the work conform to BS7671. (good workmanship not withstanding)

Was a certificate issued would be the more important question.

As others have said, red and black hasn't been used for new installations since 2007.

If it was a rewire, then carpets up, boards up, decorating after. Different than just changing the board.
If it was a full rewire, id be checking more than just the board....

Come to think of it.... why is the cover off?

Presumably removed by the OP for purposes of taking the picture.

More concerning is the board swinging in the breeze with no cover, to bottom left of image.

Presumably removed by the OP for purposes of taking the picture.

More concerning is the board swinging in the breeze with no cover, to bottom left of image.
I assumed this was the old board just temporarily left on for a builder supply for tools , kettle etc.
I hope it isn't still live and been left like that 😬

Never fitted a Hager board with SPD but something doesn't look right. Is that have the lower supply is connected and is there a cpc to it, the galvanised link across the top of the earth terminals looks odd.
It is difficult to see, but my understanding is the two top connections of the SPD are Earth, and while I can see they are linked, I can't actually see any earth cable connecting them to the earth terminal.

Reply to New rewire and fuse board - views on work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net