Discuss New rewire and fuse board - views on work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He knows my job - and is silly enough to put stuff like this in writing!.
He is insistent that the board is up to scratch, good quality etc, despite nothing covering the holes where the fingers come in, (child finger could fit in), he thinks its a good install, and that the NICEIC would say it is all good.

He knows my job - and is silly enough to put stuff like this in writing!.
He is insistent that the board is up to scratch, good quality etc, despite nothing covering the holes where the fingers come in, (child finger could fit in), he thinks its a good install, and that the NICEIC would say it is all good.

Which holes are you referring to? The image isn't very clear. *Edit: I can now see the incoming tails.

Hi, I took the photo when he was in the loo or nipped to the van. That board was left on, - him leaving it to the plasterer to disconnect etc.

So this isn't the finished job?

Hi, no it was left open, I wouldn't have even have thought to check the board, It was when he was working on it, and nipped to the loo/ or to the van I can't remember.

The cover is in place now, and the old board removed.

Someone asked about the plaster Hager board below - that was installed in 2012 for our kitchen extension. I've not opened it, so can't comment on quality etc.

I've had metal switches/plugs installed - my understanding is that they need their own earthing. Is it legal for me to simply unscrew to open (clearly won't touch anything etc) to take a photo.

He thinks the job is complete and is chasing me for money. I'm worried about the rest of the install given the way the fuse board has been hashed together.

He finally agreed to come and sort the board, and I was going to pay him after that, so that I get my certificate. But given the comments i'm unsure what to do next.

Presumably removed by the OP for purposes of taking the picture.

More concerning is the board swinging in the breeze with no cover, to bottom left of image.
Nope, it was left off by him. I haven't removed the cover. I wouldn't like to fall foul of the law. If it is legal, then I can take an updated pic although he is coming on Wednesday to rectify.

The job isn't FINSIHSED until you get your EIC (certificate) and YOU are 100% with the JOB you were quoted for. IF you are NOT happy then DONT PAY

The job isn't FINSIHSED until you get your EIC (certificate) and YOU are 100% with the JOB you were quoted for. IF you are NOT happy then DONT PAY
He emailed me the day he "finished" at 11.36pm, demanding payment by the next morning. Then texted me after midnight, as I informed him at 4pm just after he left, one of the lights was not working demanding the balance minus a grand.

I've outright refused to pay, but today I ordered the parts, namely for the 25mm and 16mm earth so kiddies can't get their hands in, and for the knockouts in the back which makes it safe, i.e plastic. Namely Hager VM02CE Hager VM02CE Insulated Cable Entry Plate for Design 10, 30 & 50 Consumer Units - https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/hager-vm02ce-insulated-cable-entry-plate-3331-p.asp

and the tails entry kit: Meter Tail Entry Cable Protector Plate Open (Pack of 10) - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4658785-meter-tail-entry-cable-protector-plate-open?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzeSdBhC4ARIsACj36uFfeHL5fAIyG94Rz4rVnmbxuvNpj-aajolHZS45ulNG3JzSKA7YXG8aAhh6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just to add the box was sealed, and came from TLC, and he approved it, told me which breakers etc to order.
No issue with this approach

Although I would have tried my best to persuade you to go for a full Rcbo board , for the extra 90-100 quid on materials it is a far superior set up

This is the question.

Apart from being a little untidy, does the work conform to BS7671. (good workmanship not withstanding)

Was a certificate issued would be the more important question.
Can someone confirm, if there is a code number under BS standards that the work needs to be good workmanship.

He has said I can complain to the NICEIC and they will tell me there is nothing wrong.

He is withholding the certificate until I pay in full. In such circumstances what can I do? Effectively being told if I don't pay up - then tough,

As above i've ordered the bits above, for him to fit - and if he was going to organise tidying up the board then I was going to pay him in full get my cert and call it a day.

Looking at the contract, unfortunately despite discussing it, and when posting on my builder asking for a full rewire, I forgot to include the light under the stairs, and the socket. Hence two circuits being old.

Yes the Regulations do not advise them for residential properties.

I understand that, and the reasons why, but if a customer specifically requested fitment of a quality dual RCD board, I can't see any reason not to.

I'd certainly put forth a persuasive argument in favour of an alternative set up, but can't think of any reason why one shouldn't be fitted at a customer's request.

I understand that, and the reasons why, but if a customer specifically requested fitment of a quality dual RCD board, I can't see any reason not to.

I'd certainly put forth a persuasive argument in favour of an alternative set up, but can't think of any reason why one shouldn't be fitted at a customer's request.
You are likely to need to list it as a departure something you really don't want to be doing, see Regulation 531.3.2 (ii). What the customer wants should not sway you from what is correct.

Hold on, his quote was to supply and fit a dual RCD fuse board made by contactum (spelling). His quote was never RCBO etc.

It is difficult to see, but my understanding is the two top connections of the SPD are Earth, and while I can see they are linked, I can't actually see any earth cable connecting them to the earth terminal.
@westward10 my understanding is that they look like this - and I'd expect to see some glimpse of the CPC .
1673119951434.png

You say dual rcd is not recommended. If im honest I didn’t want to spend the money on a rcbo- there are 14 circuits.
That wasn't the wisest move really.
To clarify he wanted to supply and fit some crap board.
What did he want to fit? Was it Fusebox? Any RCBO board would have been better.
If you supplied the board how did he end up with exactly the right number of B6 breakers for lighting unless you also knew the plan in advance?
The main reason is that the regs encourage us to design to limit cumulative earth leakage and specifically tell us to consider RCBO's in residential premises. (Section 314 and section 531.3.2 )

Reply to New rewire and fuse board - views on work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net