Discuss No Luck with Electricians in Scotland in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can I ask for some feedback and advice from the professionals on the points below?
Refurbishing two cottages into one, I had engaged an electrical firm to carry out the installation, but following very poor work and practice as recommended here I stopped the work and engaged another electrician.
Asking if he was qualified I was assured he was C&G qualified, and could sign off the installation at the end for building control.
I have to say his work was poor, he spent the first several weeks installing the floodlights outside. When adding an extra 10w flood some 12 inches around a corner from the last he ran a new cable back to the consumer unit, unclipped anywhere, and not in the cable tray for the rest of the run.
Installing conduit into the plaster to the sockets back boxes, the conduit is not earthed, not level and some drops have no fixings and as it is above the wall level the joiner will now have to cover with plaster board.
After many other errors, such as smoke detector cable left hanging with no longer access to the celling void, a smoke detector located so the door will hit it, PIR in wrong location, lights switch on the wrong side of the door etc etc
Reluctantly after pointing much of these errors out, he left site, sending a second invoice, yet he had given a written quote for the job to completion. On his last invoice he has charged for plugs and screws, drill hire, cutting discs, brackets, grommets, cable etc
The work done is not even half the work, yet he is charging more than 50% of the total quote.
It seems confusing in Scotland as with no part P, competent person, and limited availability of electricians, how can you trust and check installers?
The final worry is after investigation he has C&G Electrical Inspection and Testing (2391) does this make him qualified to do installations?

Attachments

• No Luck with Electricians in Scotland Socket - EletriciansForums.net
    Socket.jpg
    976.9 KB · Views: 119
  • No Luck with Electricians in Scotland Cables - EletriciansForums.net
    Cables.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 123
  • No Luck with Electricians in Scotland crossed wires - EletriciansForums.net
    crossed wires.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
Those pics may not be pretty, but then you can't expect works of art from every spark. However, some of the other points you mention do smack of a lack of planning and care in execution. As for charging for drill hire, grommets etc if you had a firm quote, surely these "extras" are covered by the quote.
If I get a new tyre, or a puncture repair, I expect to be charged for the parts and labour, but not for the air...

Hi,just how did you come to select the second spark,after the carry-on with the first?

I am in Ayrshire and registered with NICIEC ad SELECT and a Certifier of Contruction
As far as the job goes- I would have suggested you not to use conduit unless you were taking said conduit in to the boxes correctly with bushes etc.
Doesn't look too bad imo- saying that the conduit is a bit rough and not useful in any way.

If it was not intended to take conduit or oval conduit to the box you might as well have saved on paying for the chasing and just had the cables capped a bit pointless.
As for picture 3 seems ok.

It seems confusing in Scotland as with no part P, competent person, and limited availability of electricians, how can you trust and check installers?
Unfortunately, as things presently stand, anyone can carry-out electrical work in Scotland. Up here, we have kitchen-fitters, bathroom-fitters and wetpants who are advertising themselves as 'electricians'. I kid you not.
Asking if he was qualified I was assured he was C&G qualified, and could sign off the installation at the end for building control."

Being in possession of a City & Guilds certificate does not facilitate signing-off a building warrant. There are only three ways that electrical work carried-out in Scotland in conjunction with a building warrant can be signed-off:

1. By using a Scottish Buildings Standards Approved Certifier. In this instance, when a building warrant is applied for and the applicant states that they are going to use an approved certifier of construction, the certifier simply downloads a certificate of construction from the Scottish Buildings Standards website, completes it and sends it back to SBS. LA Building Control check the validity of the certificate and sign-off on the work.

2. When the applicant is not using a Scottish Buildings Standards Approved Certifier, building standards will ask for a Minor Works Certificate or an EIC, or even an EICR that has been completed by a SELECT or an NICEIC member.

3. The third option is Reasonable Enquiry. This is the only option available when the person who carried-out the work is not a Scottish Buildings Standards Approved Certifier or a member of SELECT or NICEIC. A copy of the electrician's SJIB grade card must be submitted along with a Minor Works Certificate or an EIC and a copy of the calibration certificate for the test equipment used.

As for the actual work, while I would consider it to be a bit rough, I've seen worse ..... much worse. I have no idea what the intended purpose of the conduit in image 2 is. It's about as much use as window wipers on a submarine.

Last edited:

Reply to No Luck with Electricians in Scotland in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock