Discuss Upgrading a CU on a domestic property requirements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder if you can help me out please.

I have been approached by family friend to upgrade their CU in a home they are looking to sell. I am a registered Electrician, but do not hold my Part P qualification as the heavy majority of my work is done on Commercial works.

I am fully capable of doing the work, but am uncertain whether I am permitted to do the work without Part P, and I don’t know whether I need to have this signed off by anyone/an authority?

If anyone could help me out here, that would be great. Thanks

TM

just do it. provide a EIC ( plenty of generic forms about to fill on computer or scribble hand write ). sod part pee. nobody ever been taken to task. councils are too busy evicting tenants. or .....date the job as 2004. tin hat on.

and from your OP. you'll probably do abetter job than a 5 week DI with a niceic badge, but otherwise clueless.

What Tel said!

Disagree.

When selling a property, you are required to fill out and sign a legal document, that asks various things, one of which is if any electrical works have been carried out on the property since 2005. Compliance Certification is required, if such is necessary.

Of course you could just lie, but the absence of a Compliance Cert, might be a deal breaker for the buyer, and also might prove tricky telling porkies to your solicitor.

telling porkies to your solicitor.

that's rich. lawyers are the biggest porkie tellers since doubting thomas denied jesus.

It might depend on the local council, I think some are happy for certification by non-scam members if they can demonstrate electrical qualifications & experience, etc.

Do you know anyone local who could third party certify for you?

Disagree.

When selling a property, you are required to fill out and sign a legal document, that asks various things, one of which is if any electrical works have been carried out on the property since 2005. Compliance Certification is required, if such is necessary.

Of course you could just lie, but the absence of a Compliance Cert, might be a deal breaker for the buyer, and also might prove tricky telling porkies to your solicitor.
Still maintain that an EIC will suffice.

I think any further comments I've got are best kept for the Arms....

Speak to LABC and tell them your situation and experience etc, some will only want a copy of the EIC etc. It doesn't hurt to ask.

You could always just pay your LABC fee, anywhere from £100-£400, dependant on where you live, if it‘s a one off notifiable job, then this fee will be les than a CPS joining fee and MUCH less than paying someone else to notify for you.

It might depend on the local council, I think some are happy for certification by non-scam members if they can demonstrate electrical qualifications & experience, etc.
For my garage conversion (no longer in a Scheme) I asked my LBC if I could carry out my electrical works myself. Sent them my last assessment as proof my qualifications were genuine. They ummed and arrghed for a while, and then said do the work and get it EICR’d. Ha!

I’ve managed to find somebody with Stroma/Napit, who will Third Party it. Well he did say he would, until he’s seen the quality of the workmanship ☺️

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "PART P" ELECTRICIAN
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "PART P" QUALIFICATIONS

There is notification of notifiable works according to the Building Regulations, and the exemptions to prior notification fi the work is done by a member of an approved scam... err I mean scheme. It's unfortunate that Part P (which is only one paragraph and basically says that works must be safe) was introduced at the same time (2005 BRs) as notification requirements were extended to some electrical works.

IMO there is little point asking the LABC dept about something as simple as that - it gives them the opportunity to say no and have little chance of having to justify it. So they'll take the easy route and just say no to anything that doesn't fit their narrative. LABCs are also well known for making up their own requirements (like needing an extractor fan in a room that's got an opening window).
If presented with a professional looking certificate for the works (especially assuming the person has appropriate trade insurance), then they should accept that.

I did ask LABC at my last house. I was doing some minor building works so got them to give their advice up front, and to be fair, they were very helpful - even told me what size concrete lintel to use that would make them happy. A friend has been doing some major works over the last couple of years, and he's found them very helpful as well. As for the CU replacement I had planned, he asked if I'd be getting someone to test it - I replied that I'd provide a set of test results and he seemed to be happy with that.
The key thing is that if provided with reasonable looking paperwork then their back is covered. Present them with no certificates, os some scrawl on the back of a smoke packet and they are going to be "sceptical".

For a board change, just do the work and issue a professional looking EIC. The homeowner is responsible for prior notification to LABC, and paying the fees. Technically, the "lying when filling in the TA6 form" can be got around by ticking the box for "yes, there have been electrical works since 2005", adding a note that no there are no LABC completion certificates - but here's the EIC. There's still the issue of not complying with BRs, that's time limited anyway (is it 4 years after which the LA can't do anything ?) if the householder isn't planning on selling soon.

As an aside, my LA (South Lakeland) charges £180 fees for a CU change.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "PART P" ELECTRICIAN
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "PART P" QUALIFICATIONS

There is notification of notifiable works according to the Building Regulations, and the exemptions to prior notification fi the work is done by a member of an approved scam... err I mean scheme. It's unfortunate that Part P (which is only one paragraph and basically says that works must be safe) was introduced at the same time (2005 BRs) as notification requirements were extended to some electrical works.

IMO there is little point asking the LABC dept about something as simple as that - it gives them the opportunity to say no and have little chance of having to justify it. So they'll take the easy route and just say no to anything that doesn't fit their narrative. LABCs are also well known for making up their own requirements (like needing an extractor fan in a room that's got an opening window).
If presented with a professional looking certificate for the works (especially assuming the person has appropriate trade insurance), then they should accept that.

I did ask LABC at my last house. I was doing some minor building works so got them to give their advice up front, and to be fair, they were very helpful - even told me what size concrete lintel to use that would make them happy. A friend has been doing some major works over the last couple of years, and he's found them very helpful as well. As for the CU replacement I had planned, he asked if I'd be getting someone to test it - I replied that I'd provide a set of test results and he seemed to be happy with that.
The key thing is that if provided with reasonable looking paperwork then their back is covered. Present them with no certificates, os some scrawl on the back of a smoke packet and they are going to be "sceptical".

For a board change, just do the work and issue a professional looking EIC. The homeowner is responsible for prior notification to LABC, and paying the fees. Technically, the "lying when filling in the TA6 form" can be got around by ticking the box for "yes, there have been electrical works since 2005", adding a note that no there are no LABC completion certificates - but here's the EIC. There's still the issue of not complying with BRs, that's time limited anyway (is it 4 years after which the LA can't do anything ?) if the householder isn't planning on selling soon.

As an aside, my LA (South Lakeland) charges £180 fees for a CU change.
I use the term "Part P electrician" to describe a registered competent person, as this is what you need to be to self certify, and what most people will understand and connect with.
The official qualification is:
City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (2393-10). It's easier just to say Part P qualified...
Sorry to make you SHOUT! ?

And just for the record, I detest the whole part p fiasco and have done from the start in 2005, but as most of my work is domestic, I find, sadly, that being self certified is the only way for me to continue working in this field.

Last edited:

Reply to Upgrading a CU on a domestic property requirements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net