Discuss Home Entertainment recommendation - cables .... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hiya,
In the process of buying a nice 50" tv, because its going on the wall, I'm already chasing the cables in for a socket, ariel, and scart ( not too sure about scart, whether you can make them off into a scart socket? ) also going to put an s - video cable in there too for the pc. now can you think of anything else I could put in to furture proof it? shud i put 2 scart cables down? or maybe 3? the dvd unit is on the other side of the room.

so people with home entertainment system experience, is there anything else you'd recommend, and know anything about buying cable for scart, and making it off? is there ne new HD cable coming out or owt?

regards luke

hiya,
In the process of buying a nice 50" tv, because its going on the wall, I'm already chasing the cables in for a socket, ariel, and scart ( not too sure about scart, whether you can make them off into a scart socket? ) also going to put an s - video cable in there too for the pc. now can you think of anything else I could put in to furture proof it? shud i put 2 scart cables down? or maybe 3? the dvd unit is on the other side of the room.

so people with home entertainment system experience, is there anything else you'd recommend, and know anything about buying cable for scart, and making it off? is there ne new HD cable coming out or owt?

regards luke
DVI cables are the way forward. Most HD sources now require DVI as scart is not capable of carrying the HD signal.

Also, put in the best quality cable you can afford, they do make a difference. (Reasearch through Hi Fi mags is a good starting point).:)

hiya,

regards luke

hi

if i was buying a 50inch plasma i would not be connecting it up with scart cables. get yourself a decent hdmi cable from the tv to a surround sound receiver or similar with hdmi switching capability. then connect all of your sources to the receiver ie. dvd, sky, games console etc. avoid multple runs of cable to the tv. the receiver will select the appropriate sound/picture signals snd display on your screen. only thing u will need direct to tv is aerial feed and/or satalite dish feed for use with tvs equipped with freesat. the closer together all of your gear is and the shorter the cable runs=better quality pic/sound and less interferance/loss in quality. hope this helps

hi

if i was buying a 50inch plasma i would not be connecting it up with scart cables. get yourself a decent hdmi cable from the tv to a surround sound receiver or similar with hdmi switching capability. then connect all of your sources to the receiver ie. dvd, sky, games console etc. avoid multple runs of cable to the tv. the receiver will select the appropriate sound/picture signals snd display on your screen. only thing u will need direct to tv is aerial feed and/or satalite dish feed for use with tvs equipped with freesat. the closer together all of your gear is and the shorter the cable runs=better quality pic/sound and less interferance/loss in quality. hope this helps
That is what I meant to say.:D

should the feed be seperate to the other cables then? so i'll wack in a dvi cable, for a reciever and an aerial, n all shud be sorted.

its gonna be arward, putting one of them in, any ideas of how I can mount the end of the dvi cable, I cant even put it in a flex plate. its gotta look neat

should the feed be seperate to the other cables then? so i'll wack in a dvi cable, for a reciever and an aerial, n all shud be sorted.

its gonna be arward, putting one of them in, any ideas of how I can mount the end of the dvi cable, I cant even put it in a flex plate. its gotta look neat

no not a dvi cable- u need a hdmi cable see link. ttp://www.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=HDMIDVI
your best bet would be to route a pre terminated hdmi lead(above link) from your tv to receiver, sheath it up to give it a bit of protection in the wall and perhaps bring it out of a flex outlet/blank plate. you dont want to be chopping that cable up to route it around though either. i think there are hdmi wall plates about but from experiance your not gonna have alot of room behind the tv so best not to have a plate that you need to plug into-requiring more room if u see what i mean. plus like anything the more joints and connections you have the poorer the signal will become

What cables you run all depends on the interfaces available I guess.

For our set, I have the following in the wall:

3x HDMI
2x SCART (fully wired)
1x Component Video
1x Composite Video
1x VGA
1x S-Video
4x RCA Phono (left & right analogue audio in for Component, S-Video, & Composite interfaces)
1x 3.5mm stereo jack (analogue audio in for the VGA interface)
2x RCA Phono (left & right analogue audio out)
1x Optical (digital audio out)
1x RS232 (for servicing)

Lastly of course there is the mains lead, although that doesn't terminate in the breakout box and it runs in it's own trunking.

I did think about running a coax lead for the tuner, but I haven't used the tuner in any television we have owned for the last 10 years at least - so it seemed pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
What cables you run all depends on the interfaces available I guess.

For our set, I have the following in the wall:

3x HDMI
2x SCART (fully wired)
1x Component Video
1x Composite Video
1x VGA
1x S-Video
4x RCA Phono (left & right analogue audio in for Component, S-Video, & Composite interfaces)
1x 3.5mm stereo jack (analogue audio in for the VGA interface)
2x RCA Phono (left & right analogue audio out)
1x Optical (digital audio out)
1x RS232 (for servicing)

Lastly of course there is the mains lead, although that doesn't terminate in the breakout box and it runs in it's own trunking.

I did think about running a coax lead for the tuner, but I haven't used the tuner in any television we have owned for the last 10 years at least - so it seemed pointless.

Thats an excessive number of cables alot will be redunant or never used! Best to run 2 HDMI, Sat grade coax, 2-3 cat5e power (outlet plate with SFS below to isolate power) Scart if you still use it, and then a decent 3-5 RCA cable, VGA and if you need it RS232 (for control if your using a control system) And terminate it all neatly to a brushed face plate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Home Entertainment recommendation - cables .... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock