Discuss Horizontal water cylinder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all, so I'm rewiring a nightmare house while girl still living in it ! Plumber gets a cylinder and says direct 1 X 3kW standard immersion. So I run a 2.5 through most of house to loft.. Comes today saying just worked out he got wrong cylinder and where he wants it there is no space for vert so he gets a horizontal one which has 2 X 3kW elements instead ! I was going to leave dp switch and a grasslin timeswitch at source in garage to control it but as now 2 elements would you... Run a second 2.5 from seperate rcbo and second dp or I'm thinking maybe add a 4 pole contactor and switch coil of it with the time switch to bang on both elements in unison ? Trying to be cost effective and sensible or run a 4/6mm twin and split from a cooker outlet or similar at cylinder on 2 x 2.5 flexes to elements ?

Good morning - may I suggest an iso switch at the tank for full control during servicing? (Think you mention it being away in the garage?). Perhaps Customer needs a loft radial outlet cct and you could run in the 4 or 6 as if nothin ever happened? Cheers, David.

Good morning - may I suggest an iso switch at the tank for full control during servicing? (Think you mention it being away in the garage?). Perhaps Customer needs a loft radial outlet cct and you could run in the 4 or 6 as if nothin ever happened? Cheers, David.

I was under the assumption that he would obviously fit 2 local isolators adjacent ti the tank.! If theres two elements id strongly suggest running two supplies in!

It says direct in the first post so electric only. As above I'd just run another 2.5mm supply and be done with it. That way if something goes awfully wrong on a circuit the second one is unaffected.

A contactor would do if you were sticking with one timer, I guess in the garage the clunking wouldn't be too noticeable in the house. There won't be much price difference with a second timer, it will be quieter and again it is less to go wrong and allows some backup.

Thank you all, unfortunately I've had none of the usual emails to let me know there have been replies !?? I went today and ran in a second 2.5 radial to the loft, as it's horizontal cyl I'm guessing that's why they require two elements at once to spread the heat ? As obviously with the vertical standard ones the heat will rise through the water better. I'm thinking of siting 2 X seperate time switches at garage end adjacent to new C/U and wasn't set yet whether to fit d.p. switches to each there or at cylinder end in loft as prob safer for local isolation as mentioned. Builder saying 2 time clocks a pain to setup etc especially in event of a powercut but I said be a lot more hassle climbing about in rockwool in loft to set them and two little time switches would take seconds to set along right time again anyway.

Hi SS - if you're missing email updates, check your "junk" mailbox as they might be going there (recently discovered a stack in mine). One of the clever folks here can probably tell us how to fix that ... Guys?

Reply to Horizontal water cylinder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock