Discuss Hospital Emergency Power System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Anyone have a one line diagram of a typical UK or EU hospital?

How are the emergency branches divided per code? How many ATSs? What is typical?

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, genuinely would like to know. Say I'm designing a hospital from scratch to modern code.

Ok, I'm learning all ready. What is the difference? The building never looses power vs just enough for what code requires be backed up?

B

Bobster

I presume since you haven't put a location and are referring to code and flashlights you're in the US?

Seems an odd request for just inquest

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Ok, I'm learning all ready. What is the difference? The building never looses power vs just enough for what code requires be backed up?
No Break, exactly what it says no break in the supply
Stand By, Loss of power, everything dead until Genny takes over.

No Break, exactly what it says no break in the supply
Stand By, Loss of power, everything dead until Genny takes over.
Like an uninterruptible power supply with a battery? What loads get that or are required to?

B

Bobster

The reason I ask, is this is a forum of mostly UK electricians. So will not be able vise on US code.

The reason I ask, is this is a forum of mostly UK electricians. So will not be able vise on US code.

But thats the thing, I am specifically interested in UK practices and to a lesser degree EU practices. I can tell you everything you would ever want to know about other places however.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Like an uninterruptible power supply with a battery? What loads get that or are required to?
Normal supply run through an on line UPS, power cut, UPS takes over until Genny is up and running and takes over from normal supply, load shedding is in operation to shut off all non essential loads.

Normal supply run through an on line UPS, power cut, UPS takes over until Genny is up and running and takes over from normal supply, load shedding is in operation to shut off all non essential loads.
What loads would the UPS supply?

Also are the receptacles serving patient care beds fed by a dedicated electrical branch or ATS?

Ok I'll bite, why do you want to know everything about hospital power supplies in the UK? I would genuinely like to know! After all;

I don't know anything about them. What is typical, what the regs mandate, ect, ect.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
What loads would the UPS supply?

Also are the receptacles serving patient care beds fed by a dedicated electrical branch or ATS?
I would say it's up to the Hospital Authorities to deem what constitutes essential and non essential loads, and of course the way the distribution side of things have been designed in the event of a power cut.

I would say it's up to the Hospital Authorities to deem what constitutes essential and non essential loads, and of course the way the distribution side of things have been designed in the event of a power cut.

Do any specific regs govern the design of the system or what loads are deemed needing backup?

T

The Ghost

Your profile says you have changed flashlight batteries and lamps indicating you are not an electrician. At the same time
I can tell you everything you would ever want to know about other places however.
Which suggests you know more than your profile is showing. I only ask as it is helpful to know your knowledge level to pitch the answer accordingly. As you have asked about a highly technical subject matter.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Do any specific regs govern the design of the system or what loads are deemed needing backup?
No idea, was just responding to your question regarding what is "No Break" and "Stand By" by my understanding and experience.

B

Bobster

BS7671 is the general regulations that cover UK installs, but there will be more specific British standards to follow.

Your profile says you have changed flashlight batteries and lamps indicating you are not an electrician. At the same time

Which suggests you know more than your profile is showing. I only ask as it is helpful to know your knowledge level to pitch the answer accordingly. As you have asked about a highly technical subject matter.

I've learned about them, but now want to learn about the UK.

Pitch without a filter, speak your mind. Its the easiest for all of us.

And if you ask me its not all that highly technical. Get into epigenetics or quantum mechanics and that it really becomes esoteric.

BS7671 is the general regulations that cover UK installs, but there will be more specific British standards to follow.
Yup- and thats another reason I'm asking. Maybe I'm oblivious, but I haven't seen anything in BS7671 that governs hospital emergency systems. Where as the NEC on the other hand have an in depth article.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
I've learned about them, but now want to learn about the UK.

Pitch without a filter, speak your mind. Its the easiest for all of us.

And if you ask me its not all that highly technical. Get into epigenetics or quantum mechanics and that it really becomes esoteric.
All these long words are doing my head in ,please speak down to earth English

T

The Ghost

There is some mention of hospitals in BS7671 in timing of generators switchover and earthing systems peculiar to hospitals.
And of course there is still the matter of why you want to know and your technical level not apparent on your profile.
"Pitch without a filter, speak your mind. Its the easiest for all of us."
What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander! Tell us about yourself a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Returning the favor, here is one NEC examples;

Page 8 and 9

I can explain the design further.

I have another, but can't post links because it says its spam. Really hate AI, its ruining so much.

Attachments

Thanks everyone.

I know I should continue reading and not skim- but what do they mean by "risk grade"?

And one question- I can legally supply backup power for the whole site via one ATS?

snowhead

-
Mentor
but what do they mean by "risk grade"?
The level of Risk of an electrical supply failure causing harm to Patients and or the Business.

Example,
Loss of power to Car park lighing .

Risk Grade 4. Consequences, low risk of trips and slips.

Loss of power to Operating theatre.

Risk Grade 1. Consequences, high risk of loss of Patient life.

snowhead

-
Mentor
And one question- I can legally supply backup power for the whole site via one ATS?
It's not law that would cover it, it would be Health Service Policy.

Hospitals would always have mulitple backups.
I doubt Health Service Policy would allow a single local source as backup.

The National Health Service Hospital close to where I live has multiple supplies from the local Grid.
Run a 4.9mw gas turbine driven Combined Heat and power generator 24/7 and export when over producing.

Probably have other localised backups as well.

So what would mandate multiple ATSs?

Anyone have a single line of an actual UK hospital?

Reply to Hospital Emergency Power System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Top Bottom