Discuss How can I make downlighters ‘warmer’ in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We had integrated downlighters installed throughout. The lights are great.... and not cheap.... but it turns out we got the colour choice wrong

After research we though that neutral downlighters complimented by warmer lamps would be be a good combo but they are too harsh for me and no that homely. We have dimmers but even dimmed they feel bright and not cosy enough.

My question is.... is there a way to alter the shade/ tone of light without having to change the whole light fitting? The bulb cannot be removed so thinking any kind of film or filter that could be added??

I don’t know what brand they are but the spec is 4000k, 7w, 55°, 750lm

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you!

There is no way at present to change the colour of your LED. You will have to change them. You can get colour changing ones in case you do want a brighter light. However if they are 4000k they are pretty well square into the yellow/orange end of LED you will not get a lot of change. Normally 6000k are the bright white ones which many find uncomfortable. So you may have to reconsider your strategy in its' entirety. Perhaps search for 3000k. Or get Lifx for instance that you can dial on a smartphone whatever colour your heart desires. 750 lm may have been your mistake, that is bright and if you have say six or more you will experience a football pitch type lighting effect maybe 350 to 450 lm would be more appropriate? Or take some out???

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with me LEDs is that the frequency if light they emit is quite specific compared to halogens so just using filters to cut try and make them warmer won't work as the warmer frequency of light just are simple not there.

Best bet is to buy new stick the olds ones of eBay.

I agree. The first mistake was getting integrated fittings, as can now be seen there is nothing positive about them and the lamp cannot be changed. But we live and learn I would just find another fitting to fit the same hole and replace them

Hi - Megaman make a GU10 lamp that is 2800K at full brightness and dims to 1800K colour temperature - might be worth a look?

He said the bulbs can't be removed so maybe they're some kinda integral lamp and fitting assemblies.

Photos would be good.

Thanks for the replies everyone. We were guided by the electrician on the spec (who was great and lovely but just really like a lot of light!)..... I didn’t/ don’t know much about lighting.... until it’s too bright then I know I’m not keen!

Everyone tellls me I will adjust to it and to stick it out but I’m really not sure.

Not sure I will be allowed/can afford to replace for a while yet.... is it something we could do ourselves or would I need to get someone in?

Picture attached

How can I make downlighters ‘warmer’ 41066064-EC30-440C-9BD2-FEBCDF6BEF94 - EletriciansForums.net

We had integrated downlighters installed throughout. The lights are great.... and not cheap.... but it turns out we got the colour choice wrong

After research we though that neutral downlighters complimented by warmer lamps would be be a good combo but they are too harsh for me and no that homely. We have dimmers but even dimmed they feel bright and not cosy enough.

My question is.... is there a way to alter the shade/ tone of light without having to change the whole light fitting? The bulb cannot be removed so thinking any kind of film or filter that could be added??

I don’t know what brand they are but the spec is 4000k, 7w, 55°, 750lm

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you!

I have some rolls of 1/4 and 1/2 CTO orange gel - if you're happy to PM me your address, I'd be happy to send a couple of small pieces for you to experiment with and see if it gives the effect you're after. I also have some ND which reduces the light output without changing colour, I can send a piece of that too.

As others have said, ultimately you will be better off with new fittings/lamps. Perhaps you could sell the originals to help offset the cost?

Edit:

If you're after a warm, cosy feel, perhaps some table lamps around the room might be the best option - save those down lights for when you're doing something that needs bright lighting!

I agree. The first mistake was getting integrated fittings, as can now be seen there is nothing positive about them and the lamp cannot be changed. But we live and learn I would just find another fitting to fit the same hole and replace them

Nothing positive? So greater efficiency, better thermal management, longer lifetime and longer warranties aren't positives?

Give em' a break...
....they can't see the positives,because their retina's are burnt out...;)

Another solution , but not ideal is to see if your electrician can alter the switching without to much disruption . You may be able to tolerate the effect if they are all not on at once.
It is a long shot I know as switch cables may not be easily located.

Nothing positive? So greater efficiency, better thermal management, longer lifetime and longer warranties aren't positives?
And what happens when they go out for a normal person? Pay a spark to change the whole fitting or change a lamp for 2 quid?

can easily get them warmer. light a candle under them. :eek::eek::eek:.

I have some rolls of 1/4 and 1/2 CTO orange gel - if you're happy to PM me your address, I'd be happy to send a couple of small pieces for you to experiment with and see if it gives the effect you're after. I also have some ND which reduces the light output without changing colour, I can send a piece of that too.

As others have said, ultimately you will be better off with new fittings/lamps. Perhaps you could sell the originals to help offset the cost?

Edit:

If you're after a warm, cosy feel, perhaps some table lamps around the room might be the best option - save those down lights for when you're doing something that needs bright lighting!

That would be amazing if you don’t mind?

Even if I can manage to show my husband what they would look like warmer.... i might have a better chance of convincing him to change them up?!

On some areas they are OK, they are just too bright for me..... maybe iv had dingy lights got too long!

I am also busy buying lamps and thankfully opted for pendants as well on the landing and living room so can tone those down.

When they are all on and up bright I feel like I’m in the supermarket

I will send the address - thanks so much!

Edit:

That would be amazing if you don’t mind?

Even if I can manage to show my husband what they would look like warmer.... i might have a better chance of convincing him to change them up?!

In some areas they are OK, they are just too bright for me..... maybe iv had dingy lights for too long and grown used to them?!

I am also busy buying lamps and thankfully opted for pendants as well on the landing and living room so can tone those down.

When they are all on and up bright I feel like I’m in the supermarket!!

I will send the address - thanks so much!

And what happens when they go out for a normal person? Pay a spark to change the whole fitting or change a lamp for 2 quid?

Most LED lamps integrated or otherwise, have an extremely long life span. I fitted some GU10's in my old house a good few years ago. Still going strong. I would expect a good quality LED lamp in a domestic environment to last nearly 10 years, give or take.

Reply to How can I make downlighters ‘warmer’ in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock