Discuss How do I change a switched plug to always hot? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

U

upillai4444

I am as newbe DIY as it gets when it comes to electrical work.
Here is my issue at my home. I have a light switch which controls the recess lighting in the living room as well as all the plugs. A pretty poor design IMO especially since that room also acts as the TV/entertainment room. As of now I have to use an extension cord to the next room to use the always hot plug so I can watch TV when I want the lights off. The plug I would like to use in the circuit has two wires coming in, each with a ground, white, and black wire. In my research I thought I found a solution where I could break the connection between the two plugs in the socket by cutting the metal connector between them. When I opened everything up, it doesn't seem to match what I researched so here I am asking the experts.
I have attached 4 photos. 1 showing the inside of the box; 1 for each side showing each connector; 1 for the back of the plug.
I would be fine with one plug being always hot, and the other controlled by the switch. Is this something easy to take care of, or would I need to hire someone.
As for experience, I've replaced plugs and switched before.. so basically no experience. So far the only steps I know for this task is figure out which switch in the breaker box is for that rooms circuit... so have gotten no where.

Attachments

• How do I change a switched plug to always hot? Plug (1) - EletriciansForums.net
    Plug (1).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 8
  • How do I change a switched plug to always hot? Plug (2) - EletriciansForums.net
    Plug (2).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 7
  • How do I change a switched plug to always hot? Plug (3) - EletriciansForums.net
    Plug (3).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 6
  • How do I change a switched plug to always hot? Plug (4) - EletriciansForums.net
    Plug (4).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 6
Breaking the tab between the white conductors (neutrals) will just create an open circuit, don't break the tab. It looks like they are controlled by two switches and it is at the switches you need to do the alteration.

Thanks for the reply. There is only one switch that controls lights and plugs. I have included pictures of the switch. Seems three wires go to the switch, each containing a white, black and ground wire.

Attachments

• How do I change a switched plug to always hot? Switch (1) - EletriciansForums.net
    Switch (1).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1
  • How do I change a switched plug to always hot? Switch (2) - EletriciansForums.net
    Switch (2).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
  • How do I change a switched plug to always hot? Switch (3) - EletriciansForums.net
    Switch (3).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1
I am as newbe DIY as it gets when it comes to electrical work.
Here is my issue at my home. I have a light switch which controls the recess lighting in the living room as well as all the plugs. A pretty poor design IMO especially since that room also acts as the TV/entertainment room. As of now I have to use an extension cord to the next room to use the always hot plug so I can watch TV when I want the lights off. The plug I would like to use in the circuit has two wires coming in, each with a ground, white, and black wire. In my research I thought I found a solution where I could break the connection between the two plugs in the socket by cutting the metal connector between them. When I opened everything up, it doesn't seem to match what I researched so here I am asking the experts.
I have attached 4 photos. 1 showing the inside of the box; 1 for each side showing each connector; 1 for the back of the plug.
I would be fine with one plug being always hot, and the other controlled by the switch. Is this something easy to take care of, or would I need to hire someone.
As for experience, I've replaced plugs and switched before.. so basically no experience. So far the only steps I know for this task is figure out which switch in the breaker box is for that rooms circuit... so have gotten no where.
Make sure all the power is off and take the switch apart and tie the 2 black wires together then it will be hot all the time. Power off please

Make sure all the power is off and take the switch apart and tie the 2 black wires together then it will be hot all the time. Power off please
There are three black wires behind the switch; two connected to the same receptacle (upper right), and one connected to the upper left. The bottom right doesn't not have anything connected. I also don't want everything to be hot all the time, as I do not want my lights to be on 24/7.

Reply to How do I change a switched plug to always hot? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock