Discuss How important is it that I upgrade this consumer unit, and maybe, more? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

coalminers crufties

Hello, I recently bought and moved into my first home, and I made an enquiry with an electrician about doing a like for like swap of electric shower, and discussion quickly moved to the consumer unit.. Long story short, he said it probably needs an upgrade. I did a bit of research on all of this today, so I'm far more knowledgeable about it all than I was yesterday, but I'd like some more help from you lot, if possible.

Having just moved in and put everything I have into the deposit, something like this is going to be a huge outlay. I can certainly forget my replacement shower idea for now, and I'd like to know how important it is that I get this replaced with a modern consumer unit with RCBO's. I have been quoted £600 for the install and testing (this is assuming there are no issues elsewhere!)

How important is it that I upgrade this consumer unit, and maybe, more? PXL_20230113_213701226 - EletriciansForums.net

According to the label inspection and testing has been carried out in October, presumably you have been supplied with the report issued from this? This should identify any faults in the installation which require remedial action and so give you an idea of how much additional work may be required.

£600 seems about standard for an all RCBO unit with SPD…(advised)

Looking at the age of the boards, I would be surprised if there wasn’t some underlying fault that I’d festering away and will only come to light when an RCBO is introduced.

Where in UK? Maybe a forum member nearby that can offer another quote?

Morning all, thanks. I'm in Gloucester.
According to the label inspection and testing has been carried out in October, presumably you have been supplied with the report issued from this? This should identify any faults in the installation which require remedial action and so give you an idea of how much additional work may be required.
hello, i haven't seen sight of this report! i don't know how to go about finding it! assume it was arranged by the vendor.

£600 seems about standard for an all RCBO unit with SPD…(advised)

Looking at the age of the boards, I would be surprised if there wasn’t some underlying fault that I’d festering away and will only come to light when an RCBO is introduced.

Where in UK? Maybe a forum member nearby that can offer another quote?
i really hope there isn't.. but yeah i'm aware that it can be picked up when this is done.. ultimately that's a good thing.. just something i wasn't really ready for.

i'm in gloucester!

One analogy would be that if it were a car, you have working brakes, but no ABS and air bags.
The equipment you have is designed to avoid electrical faults starting fires and to protect the wiring. It will disconnect if there’s a dead short but if won’t save someone’s life.
A modern unit detects electricity ‘going the wrong way’ and turns things off extremely quickly. These can and do save lives.

To be honest the quote is fairly good. I’d be paying out roughly about £250 for the materials (assuming decent long lasting gear is used), more like £300 if new tails and an isolator is needed.
I’d also usually be allowing a day to it.

If you are planning any renovations E.g new kitchen then the board would need changing before circuits were added, extended or altered.

One analogy would be that if it were a car, you have working brakes, but no ABS and air bags.
The equipment you have is designed to avoid electrical faults starting fires and to protect the wiring. It will disconnect if there’s a dead short but if won’t save someone’s life.
A modern unit detects electricity ‘going the wrong way’ and turns things off extremely quickly. These can and do save lives.

To be honest the quote is fairly good. I’d be paying out roughly about £250 for the materials (assuming decent long lasting gear is used), more like £300 if new tails and an isolator is needed.
I’d also usually be allowing a day to it.

If you are planning any renovations E.g new kitchen then the board would need changing before circuits were added, extended or altered.
thanks. yeah this was all picked up when i made some enquiries about replacing the electric shower.

some said they would do it, but i spoke to a very competent plumber / electrician last night who stated that if they are doing their job properly they should refuse to do that job until the consumer unit is updated.

you think that quote is good? the guy was very helpful, he spent nearly twenty minutes explaining everything to me. said the quote included a new rcbo consumer unit, new tails, earth bonding and full testing. i appreciate this will likely pick up other faults that the old gen stuff wouldn't have picked up on, and as stated above there's a good possibility other things will need to be fixed.

I’ve just quoted £600 for a board change, nice straightforward swap out, nothing taxing, and I know I’ve got more work to do in the house for an existing good customer.

Anyone else it would be more than that.

For prices, you’re starting to reach silly cheap money there.
Don’t go with the cheapest. Do some research, look at Facebook pages, reviews, even past customers if you know any.

I’ve just quoted £600 for a board change, nice straightforward swap out, nothing taxing, and I know I’ve got more work to do in the house for an existing good customer.

Anyone else it would be more than that.

For prices, you’re starting to reach silly cheap money there.
Don’t go with the cheapest. Do some research, look at Facebook pages, reviews, even past customers if you know any.
yeah this was one that came highly recommended by many people on the area facebook page

Since the test was done on 18 October 2022 it must have been done during your negotiations, prior to exchange of contracts. Ask your solicitor to request the test report from the vendor. Actually it should probably have been disclosed anyway.

If you are lucky it will be an EICR done by a diligent electrician; if unlucky it may have been done by a cowboy. But if you post the report you will get plenty of advice here.

Since the test was done on 18 October 2022 it must have been done during your negotiations, prior to exchange of contracts. Ask your solicitor to request the test report from the vendor. Actually it should probably have been disclosed anyway.

If you are lucky it will be an EICR done by a diligent electrician; if unlucky it may have been done by a cowboy. But if you post the report you will get plenty of advice here.
thanks, i will email the solicitor now. though for various reasons i am not hopeful about the diligence of tradespeople used..

what is it you need, i'll do it now
Main incoming fuse and metering positions. Where do the supplies to the units come from? Are they supplied from the other side of the wall? Is it an overhead supply or from underground? Many questions could be answered via photos.
What sort of property is it?

Main incoming fuse and metering positions. Where do the supplies to the units come from? Are they supplied from the other side of the wall? Is it an overhead supply or from underground? Many questions could be answered via photos.
What sort of property is it?
meter is up there in top corner by front door, box in on perpendicular wall just on other side of front door

Attachments

• How important is it that I upgrade this consumer unit, and maybe, more? PXL_20230115_140529267 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20230115_140529267.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 40
  • How important is it that I upgrade this consumer unit, and maybe, more? PXL_20230115_140605801 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20230115_140605801.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 40
octopus are coming in a few weeks to install a smart meter
Looks decent enough, supply wise. Two sets of tails going to the units, by the looks. Just one set needed if you have a replacement Consumer Unit.
You could do with that certificate (Domestic EICR).
If all is in order, certificate wise, I would think your quotes are pretty decent.
Before accepting, make sure that the installers will provide a completion certificate (Domestic EIC) for the new work, covering the existing installation as well.

Looks decent enough, supply wise. Two sets of tails going to the units, by the looks. Just one set needed if you have a replacement Consumer Unit.
You could do with that certificate (Domestic EICR).
If all is in order, certificate wise, I would think your quotes are pretty decent.
Before accepting, make sure that the installers will provide a completion certificate (Domestic EIC) for the new work, covering the existing installation as well.
thanks, the guy quoting £575 said the full cert eicr is included. it certainly is a cheap quote but there's loads of recommendations on fb and seems to have a very good reputation for doing good work. i'll ask him about the cert covering the existing installation.

appreciate your help!

Reply to How important is it that I upgrade this consumer unit, and maybe, more? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock