Discuss How many eicr in a day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather charge a reasonable price, do a thorough job and have a clear conscience, than be that cheap. Even if that means missing out on work....

The customers not getting value for money imo; by paying prices that cheap they're getting a rushed job, full of LIM & NV that could potentially be dangerous.

At my pace and thoroughness I aim for 1-2 domestic inspections a day max 3 bed house, max 8 circuits per house.
This would not include remedials. As said above, any repair work could take any amount of time so is impossible to factor in.

The most I have ever done is 3-4 a day. These were one bed properties of identical format, pre arranged access, 4 circuits per property, 2 men testing and no remedial work.

Mr 5 a day will be doing a few Zs and RCD tests and possibly look behind a couple of sockets. By the time the paperwork is done that's all there is time for.

We were expected to do 4 a day whilst working for a nationwide council contractor.

It's a shame an EICR does not come under the CDM Regulations the client who forces four a day on a contractor could be taken to task by the HSE for not allowing a reasonable time for the work to be carried out.

If anyone wanted 5 houses done a day it would only be a quick visual inspection of the board & visible accessories , no furniture moved , no going in the loft and Only a quick Ze at the board And Zs test On one point of each circuit (Plus rcd test if they have one).
could do that in about an hour then 45 mins to write it up and onto the next house...

An inevitable consequence for the donut putting his mane to these 5 certs is is the next manger in will want better performance and the work load will keep going up till he breaks, let him crack on with!....

An inevitable consequence for the donut putting his mane to these 5 certs is is the next manger in will want better performance and the work load will keep going up till he breaks, let him crack on with!....

just like the knuckleheads who profess to being able to 1st fix a new house in a day...
They Are just screwing themselves

Thinking about it a bit more, why would the work carried out by an Electrician not be covered by the CDM Regulations, it does stand for "Construction Design and Management" and apply to all Domestic work, could be an interesting test case, I nominate ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Effectively then, things are moving (moved?) toward Exceptionally Inadequate Condition Report. Just tick the boxes and unless there is smoke coming out of the CU give it a pass. Due to legal requirements and stingy LLs. their is no real intent to check whether the installation is in a condition for continued use. Maybe things should change so the LIM and NV are not acceptable anymore. I have seen forms with LIM all over them. In one case it was because the DB was halfway between a suspended ceiling and the room so they could not even open the door. I had to rectify and re-inspect that one!

Effectively then, things are moving (moved?) toward Exceptionally Inadequate Condition Report. Just tick the boxes and unless there is smoke coming out of the CU give it a pass. Due to legal requirements and stingy LLs. their is no real intent to check whether the installation is in a condition for continued use. Maybe things should change so the LIM and NV are not acceptable anymore. I have seen forms with LIM all over them. In one case it was because the DB was halfway between a suspended ceiling and the room so they could not even open the door. I had to rectify and re-inspect that one!
Is smoke a fail?
Bugger ! I better change todays paperwork.

The harsh reality is... that we can all moan about this all day long... but nothing will change. The only way the quality of EICRs will improve is if we start to have some prosecutions.

You only have to look at the total inaction against recent shenanigans with criminal damage to statues, or rioters in Brixton etc. to realise that any formal action against poor quality EICRs is never gonna happen.

All any one with any conscience can do is carry on doing them properly to the best of ya abilities....and if you lose trade to the drive by cowboys let em have it! ?

The sad bit about all of this is that's it's not the company who will suffer, But the poor bugger who is daft enough to put his/her signature on the paperwork as the responsible person !!! You are the one that they will come hunting for if disaster strikes.

One I had last year was a small Chinese takeaway.....the amount of faults I picked up was ridiculous.....he paid me anyways for the report and then just went with another spark who basically found nothing wrong......cheaper than getting me to repair all faults.....crazy times man ?

Reactions: DPG
When I have the time I am going to contact the APS (Association of Project Safety) to see if they can do something under the CDM Regs.

I've just had some annual Gas Safety Certificates done... ÂŁ65 each... and he's in and out within an hour. Single page cerificate. That's gotta be a better business to be in than doing EICRs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many eicr in a day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock