Discuss How to become a college lecturer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hi there bluemoo2

the minimum qualification that most colleges require is the PGCE (Cert Ed). its a 2 year course and to complete it you need to complete a minimum of 30 hours teaching in 1st year and 100 hours in year 2. At least 4 of your teaching sessions will be supervised/graded by you tutor.

Some colleges will assist in finding you placements for the above or what a number of people did on my course was to do voulentary work for adults undergoing basic skills courses.

there is of course the old saying ; those that can do .those that can't teach. time to duck.....

shakey is good but he isnt god!

the problem with college lecturing is that you will have to work part time, as and when the college needs you. full time jobs are hard to come by and you only get full time if you are allowed to enter the "old boys network". its not what you know but who!

once you are in it is a very rewarding job, it isnt easy but is great fun. its the best job i have ever had.

I know my college is crying out for lecturers to teach the electrical part of the HNC/HND mechatronics and manufacturing engineering last year we had one guy and when he was off we were left with no-one to teach.

aparently they have been trying for ages to employ...I just hope they have sorted it out for this year because we have a PLC module and I know they were struggling to find someone to teach it.

Anyone know the qualifications required in order to become a college lecturer?

generally you have to be qualified (and higher) in the subject you are teaching

My local college is asking for a installation lecturer at the moment, you have to get cert ed (PGCE) within 4 years of starting the job

the other option is to teach or a private firm, the pay is generally better

shakey is good but he isnt god!

once you are in it is a very rewarding job, it isnt easy but is great fun. its the best job i have ever had.

:confused::confused::confused:

what the hell sort of comment is that:confused:

what is that supposed to mean:confused:

Mate, i dont profess to be anything other than what i am - a knowedgable guy, who, because he is currently teaching the various electrical installation disciplines, has a good knowledge of the subjects.

People on the forum specifically ask me to resolve queries/issues they have in certain areas, which i do, A LOT. If people hold me in esteem then that is good, but is not something I strive for or invite.

Do you have a problem with me fella?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it mildly amusing that an electrician (presumably) would be nick-named "Shakey". :D

I hope he doesn't do live work! :eek:

I have taken the nickname of my hero, the one and only Mr Neil Young

and yes i do live work:p
That explains it. I was picturing trembling hands, holding metal tools as they enter a live panel. Probably not good. I'd have recommended brain-surgery instead, maybe. ;)

no one can be god i am afraid, because he doesnt exsist

or she doesnt exist, depending on how you look at it

Now Luke, this is one BIG conversation we could have:)

as someone who believes that most religous people are evil control freaks, I could chunter on for hours about it;)

Always wondered about Shakeys name. Thought perhaps it was because he comes from Wales and there was some tenuous link to Shakin Stevens.

But now we know!

not dissing shakey he is a great bloke and as i have witnessed he has helped an aweful lot of people on this site. But there must be a question out there that he cant answer!

Long my you reign supreme shakey hats off too you.

ps great taste in music butt.

not dissing shakey he is a great bloke and as i have witnessed he has helped an aweful lot of people on this site. But there must be a question out there that he cant answer!

Long my you reign supreme shakey hats off too you.

ps great taste in music butt.

Oh theres lots out there i cant answer, I have a 'hole' in my knowledge, a real grey area, i am surprised no one has noticed that there are certain subject matters that i NEVER comment on:rolleyes:

How come you aint lecturing anymore Dinosaur?

I did it for 7 years (electrical engineering as opposed to installations), then binned it for 10 years, and swore i would never go back.......how times change:p

Always wondered about Shakeys name. Thought perhaps it was because he comes from Wales and there was some tenuous link to Shakin Stevens.

But now we know!

I have been accused of being a shakin stevens fan before on this site!:eek::p

Last edited by a moderator:
i am lecturing but not in college (hated the politics) so have taken a pay cut and do it for a private company. Much more relaxed and the students are more attentive coz they are spending their own money and been "forced to learn" been 'teaching for about 8 years.

i am lecturing but not in college (hated the politics) so have taken a pay cut and do it for a private company. Much more relaxed and the students are more attentive coz they are spending their own money and been "forced to learn" been 'teaching for about 8 years.

taken a pay cut? we pay our electrical tutors a lot more than the starting rate that the local college does........were you high up the pay grading in college or does your company just not pay a lot:rolleyes:

Reply to How to become a college lecturer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock