Discuss How to deal with Pyro Cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mattja

-
Reaction score
Situation is there's some 53 year old pyro cable that I need to either remove, or make dead, or cut short and push back into the wall having ensured that the still-live end cannot short out the circuit or come into contact with anything.

No hope of fully removing it, as it goes up the cavity and I don't even know the route it takes.
Chances of finding the junction box that connects it to the downstairs power ring are remote, I suspect it connects at a junction box fixed into the wall behind fixed cupboards, next to pipes, in a kitchen, and below the bath (bathroom above the kitchen), however I cannot be sure. I also am not sure I can take the cupboards down without damaging them (I'm no carpenter/kitchen fitter).

SKIP TO THE POINT:

The obvious thing to do seems to be to cut the cable just after it leaves the outside house, fix the end in such a way that it's not going to short the circuit or make live anything it comes into contact with, and shove it back into the wall (then cement over it). I've not had to deal with pyro before, how would you recommend going about this?

Alright, will tool up with a phone then!

Edit: thanks for the quick reply btw
Not sure what you mean "tool up with a phone" is that a sarcy reply to the previous well meant reply, or something else?

The obvious thing to do seems to be to cut the cable just after it leaves the outside house, fix the end in such a way that it's not going to short the circuit or make live anything it comes into contact with, and shove it back into the wall (then cement over it). I've not had to deal with pyro before, how would you recommend going about this?

No,the "obvious" thing to do is not do what you propose

Situation is there's some 53 year old pyro cable that I need to either remove, or make dead, or cut short and push back into the wall having ensured that the still-live end cannot short out the circuit or come into contact with anything.

No hope of fully removing it, as it goes up the cavity and I don't even know the route it takes.
Chances of finding the junction box that connects it to the downstairs power ring are remote, I suspect it connects at a junction box fixed into the wall behind fixed cupboards, next to pipes, in a kitchen, and below the bath (bathroom above the kitchen), however I cannot be sure. I also am not sure I can take the cupboards down without damaging them (I'm no carpenter/kitchen fitter).

SKIP TO THE POINT:

Am I reading this correctly - you mean literally just cut it short and cement over it? Tell me I've misunderstood - surely you would disconnect it from wherever it is fed from???? If not then I would suggest you need more training before working in anyone's property. And it wouldn't matter whether it was unwanted pyro, T&E or whatever - the principle is the same regarding this issue. Daz

Had another idea, it wouldn't be an unreasonable place to put an outdoor socket (where the pyro comes out of the wall)
Not sure what you mean "tool up with a phone" is that a sarcy reply to the previous well meant reply, or something else?
My lame sense of humor, meaning the tool for the job is a phone to call in someone to deal with the cupboards.

Am I reading this correctly - you mean literally just cut it short and cement over it? Tell me I've misunderstood - surely you would disconnect it from wherever it is fed from???? If not then I would suggest you need more training before working in anyone's property. And it wouldn't matter whether it was unwanted pyro, T&E or whatever - the principle is the same regarding this issue. Daz
Ok what I meant in full, thought this much was apparent sorry: pull out the fuse for the circuit it's connected to, cut through the pyro close to the wall, (and here's the bit I needed to know about dealing with pyro for) put a new cap/gland or whatever pyro uses on the end of it and put a suitable box or something over the end of it so it's not going to short circuit or connect to anything etc, expand the hole in the wall so it can be pushed in there, push it far enough back that the end can be cemented over (it goes into the cavity), and then cement over it.

Not for a second (again I thought this was clear sorry) did I intend to just snip and shove. That's why I was looking for advice on how to do that with pyro.

But having taken advise from the first reply here I should have help on the way in a few days so I can get access to the junction box at the supply end and disconnect it there.

you can't just bury a live cable. nobody will know it's there unles there's an accessory or a blanked box to indicate the presence of cable.

Ok what I meant in full, thought this much was apparent sorry: pull out the fuse for the circuit it's connected to, cut through the pyro close to the wall, (and here's the bit I needed to know about dealing with pyro for) put a new cap/gland or whatever pyro uses on the end of it and put a suitable box or something over the end of it so it's not going to short circuit or connect to anything etc, expand the hole in the wall so it can be pushed in there, push it far enough back that the end can be cemented over (it goes into the cavity), and then cement over it.

Not for a second (again I thought this was clear sorry) did I intend to just snip and shove. That's why I was looking for advice on how to do that with pyro.

No, you intended leaving it live and just hiding it, you clearly stated this in your original post:

The obvious thing to do seems to be to cut the cable just after it leaves the outside house, fix the end in such a way that it's not going to short the circuit or make live anything it comes into contact with, and shove it back into the wall

Reply to How to deal with Pyro Cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock