Discuss How to terminate 20mm PVC conduit into a back box/socket - preferred method, whilst maintaing IP rating ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All.

What is the best/preferred method when connecting 20mm conduit to a back box of a socket on an outside wall ?

I am connecting a BG Weatherproof Storm DP 13A socket to an outside wall, fed from socket directly behind the socket from the kitchen.

Would using a 20mm female or male adaptor with a locknut in conjuction with a sealing washer either nylon or neoprene be acceptable, eg IP rating ?

Or would using a 20mm flange coupler with sealing washer, be the only option ? I have already posted a question in regards to a PVC flange coupler, previously on the forum.

Any advice or recommendations will be kindly appreciated.
53577.jpg

https://media.NoLinkingToThis/is/image/ae235/9255J_P?wid=257&hei=257&dpr=on

cmp_20ets2.jpg

CMP 20mm M20 White Entry Thread Seal 2mm Thickness (Sold in 1's)​

• Part Code: 20ETS2
  • Stock Code: 0007-0993
  • To maintain the Ingress Protection rating between the equipment and the Cable Gland
  • The need for a sealing washer will depend on the ingress protection rating, code of protection of the equipment and the type of entry holes available within that equipment
  • The CMP metric Entry Thread Sealing Washers are produced in 2mm thick white nylon as standard which are recommended and meet the specified requirements of Shell’s Offshore operations.
https://media.NoLinkingToThis/is/image/ae235/4899J_P?wid=257&hei=257&dpr=on
Or something similar to this :

82028.jpg

A 15mm Push Fit Tank Connector.

Last edited:
Best I do is blind 20mm grommet in the hole for the cable to pass through, generously applied ring of silicone sealant around the hole, then another line of sealant around the box once it’s screwed to the wall.

The flatter the wall the better, as tightening the screws can distort the shape of the box.

A male adapter has a larger sealing face. So use that and an IP washer of some sort.

PVC conduit systems are a bit pants though for water resistance.

Eventually water will get in.
always remember to drill a small (4 or 5mm) hole in the bottom of the outside socket, normally in the back of it to allow for drainage of anything that gets in.

When possible I take in cables, etc, from the bottom as less chance of water running in. But as @James says it will get in eventually, so make sure there are small holes to let it out.

Small, as in too small for most creepy crawlies to get in!

EDIT: It it is a round cable like Flexishield, etc, than I typically use an IP68 style plastic gland.

When possible I take in cables, etc, from the bottom as less chance of water running in. But as @James says it will get in eventually, so make sure there are small holes to let it out.

Small, as in too small for most creepy crawlies to get in!

EDIT: It it is a round cable like Flexishield, etc, than I typically use an IP68 style plastic gland.
Hi.

Thank you for your responses.

Have you the correct name of the "round cable like Flexishield" ?

Thanks.

Have you the correct name of the "round cable like Flexishield" ?
Just to add you can get others that are round and suited to outdoor use. For example NYY-J style is like armoured cable but without the armour (so can be used with plastic glands, etc, as no need to earth the armour), it is fairly tough / stiff and suited to may locations where damage is not too likely.

Another is H07RN-F flexible cable, it is easy to work with but as fine stranded not really intended for fixed wiring, the cable ends need ferrules in most cases, and due to is flexibility it never looks as neat clipped to a wall, etc.

Reply to How to terminate 20mm PVC conduit into a back box/socket - preferred method, whilst maintaing IP rating ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock