Discuss How to terminate lighting wire for future use. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shooby

-
Reaction score
Hi.

Coming to the end of our extension build, and first-fix wiring is in place. Plasterboards up and ceiling skimmed, with 2 cables coming through for the ceiling lights we had planned - and then I told our builder that we probably won't have ceiling lights after all, but wish to retain the option for the future if needed (there are plenty wall lights fitted for the room).

Builder sighed and said 'no prob' - 'you get the wire up inside the ceiling safely terminated and protected, and I'll foam over the hole and skim'.

Question is - what do I need to do to a 'dead' cable in order to comply? The cable will be dead and won't be connected at the switching point until/unless it's needed in the future.

Would taping over the ends suffice, along with covering it all in a small plastic bag to keep the plaster off it?

Thanks.

What does the electrician who is doing the electrical work say?

I would expect the cable to be made safe at the supply end of it and the load end protected against the ingress of plaster, moisture etc.

As above, not made live at the supply end, and terminated in a junction box at the load end sounds the best to me.

Thanks Dave and DPG.

Yes, it'll be isolated at the supply end.

Haven't contacted the sparky involved as it was easier to ask on here whilst I had my tea - I didn't want to bother him at work or at home if there was a simple answer.

I'll make sure the ceiling end is fully protected from contact with the plaster skim.

Cheers.

You will need to confirm with your electrician as they will be certifying the electrical installation work they have done, they would need to be 100% that the cables is safely terminated and does not pose a risk to life or property.

Hi.

Coming to the end of our extension build, and first-fix wiring is in place. Plasterboards up and ceiling skimmed, with 2 cables coming through for the ceiling lights we had planned - and then I told our builder that we probably won't have ceiling lights after all, but wish to retain the option for the future if needed (there are plenty wall lights fitted for the room).

Builder sighed and said 'no prob' - 'you get the wire up inside the ceiling safely terminated and protected, and I'll foam over the hole and skim'.

Question is - what do I need to do to a 'dead' cable in order to comply? The cable will be dead and won't be connected at the switching point until/unless it's needed in the future.

Would taping over the ends suffice, along with covering it all in a small plastic bag to keep the plaster off it?

Thanks.
Any joints will need to be maintenance Free Mate

You could terminate the wires into a ceiling rose on the ceiling? There should be two to three wires there one is a feed two is the loop to the next light (if there is one) and three the switch wire. In which case you would have to terminate them is such a way as to ensure the feed to the next light is not cut off.

Any joints will need to be maintenance Free Mate
No joints involved - just electrically isolated cable left in ceiling, taped and bagged for protection against plaster, and there if ever needed in the future.

Contacted my sparky via Facebook, and he confirmed it'll be fine - it'll be left unconnected at the switch.

Taped an bagged?

Minimum I would expect to see would be good old choc blocks and a chocbox. Chocbox Connector Box - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/chocbox-connector-box/54936?kpid=54936&ds_kid=92700055281954484&ds_rl=1249401&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4f35BRDBARIsAPePBHwJ8hfMAL2HRc9YKJuou2Loh53B2CpPPBD0tOjvpx6ZRgqYRKdFA70aAlYnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reply to How to terminate lighting wire for future use. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net