• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss How to test a circuits in steel conduit as the cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good evening

I am currently a training to become an electrician. I do hold both initial verification and periodic testing qualifications however this is an issue I have never personally had to deal with and was never mentioned on any of my courses as often seems to be the case.

Basically I am wondering how you would hypothetically go about testing either a ring or radial circuit if you didn't have a seperate cpc but the conduit itself acted as this.

Look forward to hopefully getting a response and some clarity

Regards Harry

TonyMitchell

Electrician's Arms
You could either use a wander lead or link the conduit to the line conductor with croc clips (or banana plug to croc clip with an R2 adaptor) for R1+R2

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
For a radial circuit you can calculate R2. If you measure the continuity of the line and neutral then divide in half this will give you R1 assuming the line and neutral are of the same length. Then measure R1 + R2 and deduct your first reading which should give you an approximate R2. For a ring final circuit you cannot do an r2 for the cpc as you have no end to end as such but you can use the same principle to to calculate R2 from the farthest point.

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
R2 being the CPC I don't think you should be calculating it.
There is nothing wrong with my suggestion, you are using various measurements and using some calculations to extract R2. Using a wander lead and subtracting the leads resistance is no different as this is also a calculation.

ipf

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Wander lead and measure for R2. On the results, fill in R2 rather than r2 and R1+R2. On the schedule, 'cont' (containment) for cpc.

PEG

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Hi,and don't forget to do the inspection part,as,if containment is effectively,a CPC, with possibly dozens of "connections",it may pass the testing,but could give a visible indication,of not being capable of sustaining a higher,fault current.

Gary Moore

19 years in and not loving it
There is nothing wrong with my suggestion, you are using various measurements and using some calculations to extract R2. Using a wander lead and subtracting the leads resistance is no different as this is also a calculation.
You should never calculate R1 +R2. Or R2 But you can calculate your ZS. This is what the NIC have told me is acceptable

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
You should never calculate R1 +R2. Or R2 But you can calculate your ZS. This is what the NIC have told me is acceptable
How do you measure R2 with no calculation. Your own method not how the NIC think it should be done.

Ian1981

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
During the design stage it is very much acceptable to calculate R1+R2 and necessary in most of, if not all cases

Gary Moore

19 years in and not loving it
During the design stage it is very much acceptable to calculate R1+R2 and necessary in most of, if not all cases
I’m not talking about the design stage. I’m talking about testing on site. We should be avoiding live testing whenever possible. And doing an R1+R2 test. Then calculate the ZS. Not always possible I know but the NIC I believe are trying to get this pushed forward because people are working live on steps trying to do a ZS and having accidents

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
So how do you do an R2.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.