Discuss how to wire a pipe stat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Much better to play it safe. Get somebody who knows how to do it and observe how he does it so that next time you will know what to do.

If he gets someone in to do the job properly / safely then it should'nt need doing again. Just watching someone doing a job once does'nt make you competent to do the job yourself, Electrical work like Gas should be left to people who know what they're doing & have the test equipment / knowledge to prove it's safe on completion. Electrocution can be pretty final:shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:
hello, well after reading this amusing thread :shades_smile: and for the record I will say I am a qualified gas engineer with part p and 17th edition qualifications, and I have two installations both with solid fuel stoves connected to c/heating systems having a pipe stat wired correctly to switch on a pump at 40 degrees which it does... however the stat opens when pipe gets much hotter so switching off the pump...causing kettling and venting this is not a condition we want.. so how does one remedy this ?

If one then turns the stat to 80 degrees or so the pump will then run again .. this is not how the stat is supposed to function when wired to close during rising temp... Should it not stay closed until temp drops below 40 degrees and then switch off the pump ?:stuart:

Additionally, when the fire goes out and the temperature drops below 40 degrees the stat fails to open leaving the pump running when it ought to have switched off.... The stat used are the Salus pipe stat ...

Any and all comments most welcome... even sarcastic ones :crazy:
Thanks guys

If this is a solid fuel stove/ boiler we normally wire a "cold start" stat set at 50c on the flow heating near the boiler and a high limit stat set at 90c on the return circulator near the boiler. The "cold start" stat will bring the pump on at 50c if the room stat and programmer are calling for heat and put heat through the radiators. This, according to manufacturers, will prolong the life of the boiler by not circulating cold water through the stove. The high limit stat will turn the pump on if the return from the cylinder reaches 90c to prevent the system over heating and heat is dispersed through radiators. We use Honeywell pipe stats and wire permanent live to C and live feed to pump from 2, and as temperature rises the stat switches on the pump, if used the live to the "cold start" can come from a programmer and /or room stat.

Hope this helps.

Hi Guys thanks for your eply.. wired to C1 .. however it does appear from chatting to some others in the industry that there are two types of pipe stat.. some break on rise and some make on rise.. and it appears the Salus and honeywell stat in use break on rise.. hence the pump switches off at the preset temp... Durrr !!! .. Oh to have a brain that works all the time eh ?.. so the anser in short which may help the other guy is buy a sta that "makes on rise".. problem should then be solved .. will confirm when I have put this into practice.. Thanks again

All the best
Clawhammer

:)

Hi Guys thanks for your eply.. wired to C1 .. however it does appear from chatting to some others in the industry that there are two types of pipe stat.. some break on rise and some make on rise.. and it appears the Salus and honeywell stat in use break on rise.. hence the pump switches off at the preset temp... Durrr !!! .. Oh to have a brain that works all the time eh ?.. so the anser in short which may help the other guy is buy a sta that "makes on rise".. problem should then be solved .. will confirm when I have put this into practice.. Thanks again

All the best
Clawhammer

:)

Change the wire from C1 to C2 should be job done according to Salus diagram.

Hello, Yes Thank you Very much Had realised that C 2 was solution.. The confusion arises from the wording reverse logic.... c2 says breaks on temp drop... brain says, want it on, on temp rise off when cold.. same thing but must be age thing .. hahah

Thanks again will surely help the other guy anyway

All the best

Clawhammer:happy:

Reply to how to wire a pipe stat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net