Discuss How to wire an rcd according to regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes Jason, there is also the problem when using single pole RCBOs that when a N-E fault is detected and the device trips off it only isolates the Phase conductor and leaves the original N-E fault still in circuit....possible problem in TT systems....

spark1

Hagers do have a flylead, fitted some only yesterday. Also I would be interested how much are people paying for the Hager RCBO for a consumer unit and how much are they paying for an RCBO for a 3-phase board

Hagers do have a flylead, fitted some only yesterday. Also I would be interested how much are people paying for the Hager RCBO for a consumer unit and how much are they paying for an RCBO for a 3-phase board

Not at home at the moment but will have a look later.

I have just done a few Hager DB's and CU's.

From memory, the DB RCBO's are around £20 on top of the standard ones!!!

Well, I have just taken my wholesaler to task on this, I am now paying 20 quid for the ADN rcbo units for consumer units and 24 quid for the AD for dis boards, its all because of the length of the neutral lead, quite bizarly the neutral lead still didn't reach

Should add really, I got the bill through for the dis board ones (AD) and they were £51-00, they took it up with Hager and got the discounts sorted out.

Last edited:
I am surprised the neutral lead did not reach as the neutral bars are labelled bottom to top along with the DB (if you start nearest the main switch) so the distance should stay the same as you go up the bus bar.

I have just done a 16 way and didnt have any probs.

Ah, this was an older board and had earth on the left and neutral on the right

Ah fair enough.

These RCBO's are doing my head in tho.

Its near enough impossible to keep the inside of DB tidy with all the earth and neutral fly leads trailing everywhere.

Do you cut yours??

I try not to, you never know when you may take them out or move them around. I think you commented on a thread I had going a while ago about RCD's on commercial premesis. I again asked the ECA this week about using them in offices etc, they state that they should not be used on either lighting or power circuits unless it is a tea point or cleaners sockets etc as it is a controlled enviroment and anything hung on walls etc should not be done by office staff

Hmm thats very interesting they said that, however, this shop/showroom i have just installed, does have 2 lady members of staff plus the owner and he is a hands on kind of person.

How would that stand then??

He is certainly one for putting things on walls.

Yep I must admit, showrooms, shops I would put RCD protection in, I think what they are also saying is that in an office things tend to be plugged in and left there, I did also question them about sockets chased into walls and he came up with the same answer..no RCD
Just going off the subject a bit, if you are installing floor boxes and client doesn't want to pay for some lovely electrak, what method of wiring do you use?

Should have said it was a raised access floor

Last edited:
Tricky one really.

The only other method would be 2" galv trunking but that would be a royal pain.

The only floor boxes i have been involved with were in a 2ft x 2ft square modular suspended floor with the boxes cut into the square where needed.

All cables run in kopex.

To be honest, if its a new install, then there isnt really any other way than using the trak.

I have seen it so many times where twin and earth is used and tie wrapped to the posts, also seen it in twin and earth on tray, cant think that is a lot better as you have more chance of walking on it on tray...think i will start a new thread

Ah yes you could be right there, as most RCBO's are only single pole and so therefore, without the flylead, the neutral could go to earth with the RCBO detecting it.

Most RCD's are double pole, so there is your safe isolation.

However, the use of an RCD as a main switch is not a good idea with regards to nuisance tripping.

Hence the dual RCD boards.
Sorry Jason, I missed out if the rcd itself then required replacing due to becoming faulty at a later date.

I'm sure I've seen really old Square D rcbo's without earth fly lead. I'm talking about black and yellow BS4293 ones.

Reply to How to wire an rcd according to regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock