Discuss How to wire an rcd according to regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electritaz

When wiring an rcd do you fit the neutral wire on the left hand side and the live wire on the right hand side or viceversa? According to the iee regulations is there a specific way how to wire it correctly and safely.

Follow the manufacturers instructions either accompanying or on the device.
failing that ,in my experience ,either way round is equally acceptable....ensure the rcd is fully tested after installation to verify this.

spark1

When wiring an rcd do you fit the neutral wire on the left hand side and the live wire on the right hand side or viceversa? According to the iee regulations is there a specific way how to wire it correctly and safely.
Are you talking about an RCD or RCBO:confused:

Rcds,rcdo,rccb,ect All manufacturers are slightly different so just wire to manufacturers instructions. As for the institute giving a regulation for them as there is such a variety the only on i can think that may apply is safe isolation before doing it

Hi

You will have a wiring diagram printed on the side of the RCD/RCBO's, make sure you get the polarity correct very important incoming and outgoing. And the Earthing lead to the earth terminal inside the distribution board. Neutral and earths to the correct split bars.

regards

sorry Head Moderator i was trying to cover all angles as he did not respond to macca's question RCD or RCBO

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason some modular rcbos dont have a functional earth on them.
So how are they supposed to work then.Overload and earth leakage protection.All the RCBO's i have installed have had a fly lead.Which one's are you talking about and what are they used for:confused:

I stand corrected!

Must admit tho, i wouldnt touch Proteus with anyones barge pole.

All the RCBO's i have installed have had an earth and neutral flylead, and thats ranging from Contactum (RIP) to Hager etc.

Indeedy, but why?

RCD's dont have an earth flylead and they work ok.
An RCD will offer you earth leakage protection.An RCBO will offer you combined RCD/MCB protection which will include overcurrent

I know, but why do RCBO's need them for the RCD function(?) yet RCD's dont?
If you don't have an RCD protected board,where the customer won't pay for a board change or something like that.You could change the main switch to 30mA but that would take everything out.Only other option is to install an RCBO on that designated circuit

If you don't have an RCD protected board,where the customer won't pay for a board change or something like that.You could change the main switch to 30mA but that would take everything out.Only other option is to install an RCBO on that designated circuit

How does one carry out safe isolation if you change the main switch for an rcd. Cutting the main incoming seal and pulling the fuse appears to be the only way, if so is this acceptable practice?

I know, but why do RCBO's need them for the RCD function(?) yet RCD's dont?

Jason I remember reading somewhere that RCBOs require the earth connection as a reference point and without them they would fail to respond to lost neutrals or n-e faults....dont know is this is exactly correct and I must say its a test I have not tried out myself to confirm it:)

spark1

Jason I remember reading somewhere that RCBOs require the earth connection as a reference point and without them they would fail to respond to lost neutrals or n-e faults....dont know is this is exactly correct and I must say its a test I have not tried out myself to confirm it:)

spark1

Ah yes you could be right there, as most RCBO's are only single pole and so therefore, without the flylead, the neutral could go to earth with the RCBO detecting it.

How does one carry out safe isolation if you change the main switch for an rcd. Cutting the main incoming seal and pulling the fuse appears to be the only way, if so is this acceptable practice?

Most RCD's are double pole, so there is your safe isolation.

However, the use of an RCD as a main switch is not a good idea with regards to nuisance tripping.

Hence the dual RCD boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How to wire an rcd according to regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock