Discuss How to wire motor plug in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I purchased a bench polisher which looks to have come from China. It says its 220v single phase and should work fine in the UK. The power cable has 4 wires in it so I'm confused how to wire a standard UK plug. I have attached a photo of the cable.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• How to wire motor plug 20190814_181352 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190814_181352.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 75
Looks like a forward and reverse switch is required. What do the manufacturers instructions say? Do you have a web link for this machine?

Welcome to the forum mate.
The motor should have a information plate on it, with the spec of the motor. Take a pic and post it up. Post a pic of the motor as well. Are there any controls with the motor?

Looks like a forward and reverse switch is required. What do the manufacturers instructions say? Do you have a web link for this machine?

Hello thank you so much for replying, please find attached images of the machine and some specs, please not its a 220v machine.

Attachments

• How to wire motor plug Screenshot from 2019-08-16 20-53-46 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot from 2019-08-16 20-53-46.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 58
  • How to wire motor plug Screenshot from 2019-08-16 20-53-21 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot from 2019-08-16 20-53-21.png
    383.8 KB · Views: 55
Welcome to the forum mate.
The motor should have a information plate on it, with the spec of the motor. Take a pic and post it up. Post a pic of the motor as well. Are there any controls with the motor?

Hi thanks for replying, ive attached images of the machine. The machine is a 220v machine and is supposed to be single phase. It didnt come with a plug, the power cable has 4 wires which is confusing me.

That's a surface grinder not a polisher so you won't be getting many shiny things from that...

You need a motor reverse switch installing. Something like: Motor Reversing Switch single or 3 phase 25, 32 or 63amp 4 Pole Lathe car lift | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Reversing-Switch-single-or-3-phase-25-32-or-63amp-4-Pole-Lathe-car-lift/331117252512?hash=item4d18204fa0:m:mwsgmUcdOA3BgKppYa0rovQ&var=540332832124

Ideally you need someone experienced with motor controls to install this for you.

That's a surface grinder not a polisher so you won't be getting many shiny things from that...

Ideally you need someone experienced with motor controls to install this for you.

H Strima thanks again for replying, I was wondering does it really need a motor reverse switch as it has a FORWARD/REVERSE switch already at the front of the machine.

How to wire motor plug 1565988548724 - EletriciansForums.net

How to wire motor plug 1565988601923 - EletriciansForums.net

It seems to state the motor needs 380V. You will only get this if the machine has something like an inverter in it.

Can you take a pic of the plate on the motor.
How to wire motor plug 1565988759738 - EletriciansForums.net

This might give us more info.

Take some pics of what you actually have rather then from a brochure.

Just wondering if that motor is three phase, 380v in star and 220v in delta. Your motor maybe pre wired for 220v delta, possibly.

Looks like the only thing you can do is get inside the machine and see where the four wires wire to.

The motor doesn't show a capacitor but could be split phase (single phase) but I suspect it is three phase and there is no reason for it to be reversible. The image of the machine does show a two position switch so maybe reverse capability is built into it.

Reply to How to wire motor plug in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock