Discuss I just pulled my light of the ceiling... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

light

Hello. I was attempting to adjust my light fixture and accidentally pulled it straight off the ceiling.

I have attached 2 pictures, one of the ceiling wires and one of the light fixture:

IMG_20151005_223646602.jpgIMG_20151005_223442152.jpg

Is it going to be dangerous to leave this like this overnight? Should I turn off the electricity or lighting circuit?

As luck would have it...I actually have an electrician coming in the morning to do an EICR! Hopefully this won't actually matter though.

Yes that should be sufficient but not a guarantee - as they are also out of reach it will be safe for one night especially as you are having an electrician in the morning anyway, just explain to him what happened and he will make it safe and most likely re-hang your fitting as its a 2 min job for them.

Last edited:
Yes that should be sufficient but not a guarantee - as they are also out of reach it will be safe especially as you are having an electrician in the morning anyway, just explain to him what happened and he will make it safe and most likely re-hang your fitting as its a 2 min job for them.

Yes, the ceiling is 3 metres high so there's no chance I'll touch it.

l'll just turn off all the power. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for your advice.

With the ceiling being 3m high, good chance this is the ground floor? (assumption).

Look at your fuse box and hopefully it is marked up, eg first floor lights (should be on a B6 fuse, again assumption). Turn on the down stairs lights then switch off the the fuse. If the fuse is not one with a switch, please turn off the full electrics for the house and let the electrician do the rest in the morning. Just make sure you have enough charge on your phone to set the alarm clock for morning.

If it's out of reach, leave it be, go to sleep.....and hope nonone's into sleep walking with a set of stepladders.

With the ceiling being 3m high, good chance this is the ground floor? (assumption).

Look at your fuse box and hopefully it is marked up, eg first floor lights (should be on a B6 fuse, again assumption). Turn on the down stairs lights then switch off the the fuse. If the fuse is not one with a switch, please turn off the full electrics for the house and let the electrician do the rest in the morning. Just make sure you have enough charge on your phone to set the alarm clock for morning.

Yes it's a ground floor flat.

IMG_20151005_234208787.jpg

Here is my electric box. Currently the lights are off. Just waiting for my phone to get to 50% before turning off everything.

Looking at the heat damage on the block connecter, it is probably just as well it came down, that's a fire waiting to happen. Had the terminals been tighten correctly then 1:- You wouldn't have had the overheating and 2:- it probably wouldn't have come down and you could have just rehung the fitting. As others have said it will probably the your electrician longer to get his tools out than it takes to do the job.

Reply to I just pulled my light of the ceiling... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net