Discuss I need a professional opinion on a recent rewire please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm not sure what half the pics are trying to show but to me it looks OK from a safety point of view but it's just rough as a badger's.

They grommeted the metal back box and have sleeved the earths, so that's something. It's just that there are some fittings without sheathing going into the box like they should and the second fixing on the wires is shoddy, far too much copper showing.

Don't think this is necessarily inherently dangerous since i've seen a million properties like this but it's just rough. I wouldn't be concerned about your house burning down or anything though.

EDIT: Missed metal not being earthed. That needs to be sorted - if the right fault appears someone could get a belt off that.

Make sure they put RCD protection in at the board.
Thanks very much for your reply

That is quite poor work.

Good point.

Could we see a photograph of the consumer unit please? You need not remove the cover.
Hi, thanks for reply.
I think the consumer unit is ok!

Attachments

• I need a professional opinion on a recent rewire please Consumer.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    Consumer.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 86
  • I need a professional opinion on a recent rewire please Consumer 2.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    Consumer 2.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 87
Do you have the EIC for the installation work or has the installer not done the testing and certification yet

In what part of Liverpool are you based

Looking at the consumer unit, personally I would have put the upstairs sockets and upstairs lights on different rcds. (Same with ground floor)

That way, if an RCD trips, your not left without any lights in one room… between ceiling lights and plug in lamps.

unless your bedrooms are on the ground floor and living room upstairs

Was there any mention by the electricians of an SPD?

as been mentioned before, lack of earthing to metal accessories, lack of brown sleaving on switched live wires.

bare copper showing at the terminals of accessories.

Lack of attention to detail on such simple things makes me worry about the general standard of workmanship.

and as @westward10 has already mentioned, anyone doing that sort of work for me would find it was the last job they did for me.

If you have any sort payment due to the contractor that did it, i would recommend not paying it until you are happy at the quality of the work.

also, if there is any paperwork such as an installation certificate, post it up for comment (remove any personal details of yourself and the contractor.

shyte is shyte. can't get worse, shyte is shyte. (caveat. even so may not be dangerous shyte, just ruff).

I think you proding around in there has made things a lot worse if you’re that concerned get a eicr instead of messing yourself no questions it dosnt look great but you have definitely made things worse
Can’t see how it’s been made worse.

I can’t see anything immediately dangerous. It’s rough, poor workmanship, id be ashamed to call it my work, but it’s not immediately dangerous as far as I can see.
metal dimmers not earthed could be classed as potentially dangerous.

non registered sparkies can work for registered sparkies if they are prepared to take responsibility for there workmanship.

It’s immaterial whether it was cheapest or most expensive. A certain level of workmanship should be expected regardless of price.
ive known cheap to be fantastic and expensive be carp.

Yeah but if they are much cheaper then its going to be dog rough and use a cheap contactum consumer unit with no spd.. For those of us doing a decent job at a fair price we lose work to these cowboys and then customers wonder why the job is done so badly...

In one photo the cpc are connected another they are not and in one photo neutrals are inside back box and another they are in the wall

I think the sparky had been back to sort some of the issues between the photos being taken.

If the action of moving a switch plate a few inches from the wall causes problems then I would say it confirms that there is a problem with the workmanship.

I think the sparky had been back to sort some of the issues between the photos being taken.

If the action of moving a switch plate a few inches from the wall causes problems then I would say it confirms that there is a problem with the workmanship.
Comical really

Coming back to connect a CPC to a metal faceplate is remedying a dangerous situation not fixing an issue

Like you say , you should be able to pull a switch or socket out from a wall without creating a hazard

Out of interest, what don't you like about Contactum CU's? I've never used one you see.
I wondered the same. I maintain lots of large sites, one of them has over 30 Contactum CU's ranging from a 4 way to TP 24 way. They've never upset me!

Reply to I need a professional opinion on a recent rewire please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock