Discuss I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The OP has a point here, take a ring for example after Kev the Kitchen bod has altered it, but Kev would mess a radial up as well
Kev the bod should not be touching it, the same as you should not really be messing with various other things but we all do in a way, how many times has a "professional" electrician screwed things up.

As your title suggests......'the potential for danger is too great'......

I wouldn't touch gas as I'm not qualified too......

So why do folk touch electrics whilst not qualified.......?

As I've said on another thread they deserve a belt if they get one whilst interfering!

I'm totally against what you say......rings are king!

British standards are the daddy too so we better hang on to 'our' methods......

Fcuk the rest!!

pfffft I have done gas work in the past and the house is still here........

haven't had a bill in 20 years though........

Tree circuit sounds like its going to have hidden joints somewhere to me.

Any 'electrician' who admits to installing new circuits incorporating unaccessible joints deserves an instant forum ban in my opinion!

What a complete clown.
That’s what I was thought...but was thinking no electrician would actually do this, would they? If that is the case then I’m with you and what a clown.

... yes, there is something wrong with ring circuits - as I stated in my post.

Why would you never ever install a tree circuit?
Pointless joints all over the circuit. Poor design. Would much prefer ring or normal radial. As stated, anything is dangerous when interfered with by non competent persons there is absolutely no need to work at a circuit when you don't have a clue what your doing, otherwise they are perfectly acceptable and safe

There are pros and cons for any wiring scheme but the humble RFC has a lot going for it. Mainly fault tolerance, if a conductor is broken the worst case is that a single cable might carry 32A, that's about 18.5W/m and only a little more than a complete ring might take on one limb anyway.

As mentioned by others, the same applies to the CPC, a break in the cable leaves some protection intact.

By contrast, a single fault on a radial can be a serious problem. Best case, your kettle doesn't work, intermediate case you lose earth protection, worst case the arc from a cracked conductor burns your house down.

The last one is a common problem in territories that use radials as standard, which has led to the emergence of AFDDs, which sometimes shut off power before the fire starts, sometimes not.

Regardless of why RFCs appeared, they're a robust and simple engineering solution to improve safety, for little extra cost and effort.

Reply to I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net