Discuss I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've heard it all now

Rings are dangerous lol

I always remember talking to a builder from Hungary who was slating the way we build houses in the UK

He really disliked building control.....

(Edited by staff, please respect forum rules, expletive removed).
You should have told him to F Off back home if its so perfect back in Hungary.

Just to add another little angle, anyone done 4mm rings where insulation or circuit length is a bit of a concern ? :) I did it in a large kitchen a year or so ago. If anything [with 35mm boxes] I think the stranded 4mm is just as easy to terminate.

Done this many many times, in very large houses it is a necessity..
Also wired many rings where the 1st and last sockets have been 4mm and the rest in 2.5...
Surprised no suckers have mentioned the good old lollipop jobs

Here in Spain it is the norm to do Spider wiring !! Each socket goes back to a large box where there is a large Chocolate Block ! (even lighting circuits) This Mickey Mouse system is used around Europe, The U.K. has the BEST system in the world ! I have seen so many Melted sockets here where someone has tried to do a radial (Ryanair sparks?) Ring Circuit, Superior !

Here in Spain it is the norm to do Spider wiring !! Each socket goes back to a large box where there is a large Chocolate Block ! (even lighting circuits) This Mickey Mouse system is used around Europe, The U.K. has the BEST system in the world ! I have seen so many Melted sockets here where someone has tried to do a radial (Ryanair sparks?) Ring Circuit, Superior !
Dark or Milk, Chocolate block? Question, what's a Ryanair Sparks?

HARD HAT ON

A Ring Final is intrinsically unsafe in that it can be inadvertently, damaged in such a manner as to overload the cable on the undamaged leg.

There is no denying or getting away from this FACT.

They are an anachronism, a stop gap belonging to a bygone era.

The simplest test, and one rings fail, is;-

IF THEY DIDN'T EXIST WOULD THEY BE INTRODUCED TODAY?

No sane person would answer yes.

They offer very little advantage over Radials yet, as stated, are intrinsically unsafe.

HARD HAT ON

A Ring Final is intrinsically unsafe in that it can be inadvertently, damaged in such a manner as to overload the cable on the undamaged leg.

They offer very little advantage over Radials yet, as stated, are intrinsically unsafe.

HARD HAT ON

Especially when lots of people aren't sure on how to test them and if they do know how to interoperate any results.

I did but never the cheapo airlines, anyway what's that got to do with my question, trying to win some points?
pete. every time i see one of your posts, reminds me of this title:

Especially when lots of people aren't sure on how to test them and if they do know how to interoperate any results.
Sure being able to test one allows us to feel superior.

But it always amazes me that rings are defended with such passion, it's like I've just called their pint a puff.

Opinion from a Kiwi.
Found rings to be a bit strange when I started work in Eire. Decided they have their uses especiaĺly for simple installs like a 2 story 3 bed terrace. Anything much bigger they're a pain in the arse. Those fused plugtops are a pain too and so bulky.
My biggest concern tho is how half brained drongo without any training can call themselves a Sharkie and start wiring

Reply to I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net