Discuss Coding for a Ring Final Circuit 1.5/1mm in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I agree, and maybe even argue it would be OK on a B20 MCB (subject to max Zs and voltage drop being OK). I like creative circuits that don't follow the expected norm!
I dont, this just demonstrate's lack of knowledge/adhering to basic craft principles that we are all taught in circuit design, far too much of this do as you likey attitude trying to be smart, and its shows with the amount of questions/ query's that get posted on here trying to find a work around.

Is there any sign of thermal degradation? What was the IR like for the both ring circuits? Also what kind of loads were observed in use? C2 could be argued with as the question is what is the likely danger in the future that may present itself? C3 is reasonable as it points to a safety upgrade which I would think is fair enough. So when we do an EICR what is the purpose, to state whether the installation is safe for continued use. As it is then a C3 and no more with explanation. If anything does happen than at least you have brought it to the attention of the person ordering the work.

Aubergine?
I will skip the emoticon for obvious reasons :)
[automerge]1598122988[/automerge]
Back to the OP, it is unusual as you say but not unsafe. My own flat was on a 20A rewirable (originally, then MCB) for the RFC but sensible enough of 2.5mm T&E and never had issues of tripping without 13A fuses blow. C3 folks?

The argument about it being modified to be unsafe by changing to 32A MCB is a bit dubious as anyone doing that ought to be covered by Part P regulations (I guess, not in my backward/forward region) and they damn well should know better!
Regardless of any alteration being subjected to Part P, and you are correct, but how many of todays DIYers will bother with part P? " please come and mend my electrics", "" 20 quid love OK"" we all know that many will just swap the OCPD as a matter of keeping the power on an booger Part P. my argument still stands, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Don't often disagree with you Mate, but on this I do, although the cable as you say is good for 19Amps on a 16 A breaker should be OK, what would happen if there is a lot of nuisance tripping, due to people overloading the 16 Amp OCPD and someone decided to up the OCPD to a32 Amp OCPD, sorry to be at odds with someone I admire but in this case I think you are wrong, change to a 20 A radial or 32 A RFC wired in N 2.5mm2 cable

But what if someone changes those MCB's you are recommding for a larger one?
Regardless of any alteration being subjected to Part P, and you are correct, but how many of todays DIYers will bother with part P? " please come and mend my electrics", "" 20 quid love OK"" we all know that many will just swap the OCPD as a matter of keeping the power on an booger Part P. my argument still stands, as far as I'm concerned.

That can be said about any part of the electrical installation.
They could do exactly the same with any other MCB.

Every part of the installation could/might be altered incorrectly so woukd you just code the whole thing?

Reply to Coding for a Ring Final Circuit 1.5/1mm in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net