Discuss I want a 16 amp socket in the garage with 3 double sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There was a change with the 18th. 16A site sockets are now required to be switched and interlocked, so any unswitched are now C3 on an EICR.
That’s only in specifically mentioned uses though, like caravan parks etc. I think the general concept of ‘industrial’ outlets in a domestic situation just hasn’t occurred to anyone?

From my earlier example, a 13A plug to a 16A socket (no shutters) for a caravan as an example…. Ok, the holes are bigger… but could be the same argument for the “figure 8” leads for radios and tvs… in fact, IEC leads for computers as well.

Once plugged in, it is possible to stick a metallic object into the socket end holes.

A bit off - direction to the original question…. In which case a 16A interlocked socket on a dedicated 16A radial. Not on the rfc with regular 13A

That’s only in specifically mentioned uses though, like caravan parks etc. I think the general concept of ‘industrial’ outlets in a domestic situation just hasn’t occurred to anyone?
Absolutely!

The problem is that when regulations are written, they tend to start from a "common sense" thinking.

Unfortunately people just try to find technical ways around them; interpreting them in a way that allows themselves to implement something that realistically ought not be done "the regs say red isn't acceptable, so it's OK to use cherry as it isn't technically red"

As such the regs end up chasing what has been done rather than catching it before it happens.

Three sayings come to mind:

Making things foolproof is impossible as fools can be very inventive.

Common sense, is neither common, nor sensible.

Yosemite Park ranger:
The problem with designing suitable waste bins, is there is considerable overlap between the average bear, and the stupidest human visitor

The problem is that when regulations are written, they tend to start from a "common sense" thinking
Absolutely, and I think it can work both ways. Some people find every possible way to reinterpret the regs to try and avoid something they don't want to particularly do for what ever reason. On the other hand, some people interpret the regs in a way that everything is black and white and that anything slightly askew is deemed unacceptable.
Then you have those (the ones with common sense) that use the regs for their intended purpose in that they are a guide to the minimum requirements deemed necessary to ensure installations are done to a common safe standard. There will be on occasion however, where some thought into the intended application/use of the install needs to be considered and what potential risks could be factors. The regs though, no matter how profound and detailed will not be able to cover all circumstances, this is where the installer needs to use their noggin and apply some sense.

Has nobody thought to fit the unshuttered socket in an enclosure which can only be opened with a key and ensure that anyone with access to the key is correctly trained?

Has nobody thought to fit the unshuttered socket in an enclosure which can only be opened with a key and ensure that anyone with access to the key is correctly trained?

Why? Putting the socket inside a locked enclosure defeats the point if. A socket doesn't it? It might as well be a hard wired connection at that point.

Reply to I want a 16 amp socket in the garage with 3 double sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net