Discuss IET membership - ECS fast track in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Zdb

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Has anyone signed up for IET membership via the ECS fast track route?

Fast Track your Application - https://www.------.org/membership/becoming-a-member/join-the-iet/miet-and-tmiet-membership/fast-track-your-application-with-your-ecs-card/

I am trying but can't make heads or tails out of their website. Apparently you should be able to put your ECS card number in somewhere to save a load of time but I can't for the life of me find the correct page to do that.

Just wondered if theres's anyone on here that's done it recently that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Has anyone signed up for IET membership via the ECS fast track route?

Fast Track your Application - https://www.------.org/membership/becoming-a-member/join-the-iet/miet-and-tmiet-membership/fast-track-your-application-with-your-ecs-card/

I am trying but can't make heads or tails out of their website. Apparently you should be able to put your ECS card number in somewhere to save a load of time but I can't for the life of me find the correct page to do that.

Just wondered if theres's anyone on here that's done it recently that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
I never had an ECS card, and I was a member, until I stopped paying them for nothing.

No one forces anyone to be part of any scheme.
We all have our hoops to jump through, it’s just how it is.
Maybe the end customer thinks the same, why should I pay a spark £100 to do a job when the man down the road will do it for £30.
A lot of the schemes people criticise yet most do not actually look at what you can get out of it if you use it all.

Apart from the existing NICEIC Approved Contractors scheme all these other schemes came about s that electrical contractors did not have to get the LBC involved when doing work under Part P.

Been a Member for twenty odd years. Do you meet their entry requirements because it is not straight forward.

I'm only going for TMIET status. I think I meet the requirements with my current qualifications and experience. I was an NICEIC QS for a few years up until last September.

Apart from the existing NICEIC Approved Contractors scheme all these other schemes came about s that electrical contractors did not have to get the LBC involved when doing work under Part P.

What !!

Really, so the ECA for instance that have been in existence since 1901 was because part P came in ?.

NSI started around 1979

NICEIC 1956

IEE Started 1884

So which on you about

What actually happened was all these bodies developed to give us all a choice where we wanted approval from. Otherwise if you had only one choice it would be a monopoly.

Joining the IET is even easier and cheaper than joining any of the schemes.

All you need is:

• CV with at least two years at QS or management etc.
  • £165
The whole thing is a nonsense but still holds weight in some circles.

I'm only going for TMIET status. I think I meet the requirements with my current qualifications and experience. I was an NICEIC QS for a few years up until last September.

You will be fine.

What !!

Really, so the ECA for instance that have been in existence since 1901 was because part P came in ?.

NSI started around 1979

NICEIC 1956

IEE Started 188

What actually happened was all these bodies developed to give us all a choice where we wanted approval from. Otherwise if you had only one choice it would be a monopoly.
Stop being so pedantic it's as bad as the bad spelling brigade (Pete) I posted regarding the competence schemes NOT when these organisations originated. You say about a monopoly well you just have to look at Corgie or now Gas Safe.

Joining the IET is even easier and cheaper than joining any of the schemes.

All you need is:

• CV with at least two years at QS or management etc.
  • £165
The whole thing is a nonsense but still holds weight in some circles.

Just had a look on their site. MIET asked for what said plus CV showing you working at graduate level.....

An ECS Gold Card will get TMIET

Not really sure what the benefits are of joining, but imagine there must be some.

I thought about joining a while back,
but as I dont have a HND or HNC I believe I could only get the TMIET title.

MIET is officially recognized in Europe by the directive 2005/36 ( what ever that is ?)
TMIET is not, so I can't work out its value.

When I joined the IEE, it was well before I applied for a JIB/ECS card.I have no idea of the requirements or what criteria was in place at the time I joined, as Someone else applied for me.

I only applied for the JIB/ECS card, because someone told me I’d need a card to get on sites in the future.
Hadn’t needed one before, and even when I did get one, it took some time before I was asked for it.
I think the first time I was asked for it, It was only me and an Apprentice who had one.
None of the other guys from the firm I was working for had one, not even the boss or the foreman.
Seeing the Apprentice’s card was when I realised there were different colour cards

Am thinking about going for a black card next year when I renew.
Passed my SSSTS March last year, so won’t have to do the H&S test.
Just not sure whether having Black or Gold will make any difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
spinlondon my advice would be to renew the Gold card and have a black card as an extra card.
The way you gain a card in the future is changing and will be far more difficult. If it lapses for a certain length of time it will have to be a brand new application in the future.
Unless they have changed things on the black card, anyone with any management quals can have a black card, but won’t allow you to work as a spark, just manage people.
There was talk of having skilled manager cards.

Reply to IET membership - ECS fast track in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock