Discuss Inline switch on pendant light instead of wall switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deuce

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
My lovely wife has requested I fit these as bedside lamps: Circular Pendant Light - https://luxeology.co.uk/products/gold-pendant-lamp-1

Sounds simple enough.. But the walls are solid and the room recently decorated, so chasing cables to install a new light switch on either side isn't really an option. It's also an external wall so no option to break through from the other side..

One solution is to not switch the feed to the pendant rose, but to break into the cable the lamps hang on and install a decent inline switch, that can support the cables sufficiently. But ahead of doing this, it strikes me that I have never seen it done this way before and I'm curious as to whether there is a reason for that?

They've got a cable grip on those inline switches but I'm not sure I'd want to hang much weight off them. Unless maybe you could splice into the flex without breaking it so the fitting is still the part taking the weight?

They've got a cable grip on those inline switches but I'm not sure I'd want to hang much weight off them. Unless maybe you could splice into the flex without breaking it so the fitting is still the part taking the weight?

I can see that splicing would retain the cable strength, but to be honest I was just going to get one with grips at least as good as those on the fitting.

This one looks pretty good, better than the grips on the rose itself I expect..
918TfIFRTBL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm more worried this may be against some obscure regulation, as although it seems a sensible solution to me, I have never seen it done this way before.

I would not suspend anything from one of those switches. The cord clamp is there to provide light strain relief not the suspension of a light fitting.

I would only do it if I can find one that is clearly strong enough. There are plenty of places selling plug in, hanging pendant lights which have a switch inline so suitable switches must exist. I doubt the switch clamps will be any weaker than those in the rose above or the lamp hanging below.

If you've got access to the loft, you could install these:-

Quinetic Wireless Switches - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Quinetic/index.html

Wireless switching without batteries. Used them several times and they are pretty darn good for this kind of application.

I'll just add to this... I wouldn't use the LEDLite floods with the Quinetic controller built in. I've installed quite a few of their normal units (with movement detection and remote) and I'm getting an appalling failure rate. Really nice functionality with the remote allowing the user to configure it, but I would say failure rate is around 20%, so steer clear.

I'll just add to this... I wouldn't use the LEDLite floods with the Quinetic controller built in. I've installed quite a few of their normal units (with movement detection and remote) and I'm getting an appalling failure rate. Really nice functionality with the remote allowing the user to configure it, but I would say failure rate is around 20%, so steer clear.

Thing is with the stuff at Tlc it’s quite expensive and a lot of the time the quality isn’t there, they also use different branding for similar products sold elsewhere such as quinetic and ledlight

For instance the quinetic switch and receiver in white would be £45.6 or there abouts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breezesmile-Appliances-Self-Powered-100-520ft-Installation/dp/B01M0E9495

£27 different branding

was buying hundreds of downlights for £9-12 each have found the exact ledlight products elsewhere for significantly less.

Last edited:
was buying hundreds of downlights for £9-12 each have found the exact ledlight products elsewhere for significantly less.

Are they the exact same though?

LEDs are graded post production to see what colour temp they will actually produce, what happens to the ones that are outside the tolerance limit of the brand? Wouldn't surprise me if to keep production costs down for the premium brand the producers had an agreement they could sell the same design fitting, with the b grade LEDs under a b grade brand of their own.

Guess you would have to hook up several of each brands lights to see if there is a difference in colour temperature consistency, or even lifespan of the LEDs. Is there a difference in warranty?

Are they the exact same though?

LEDs are graded post production to see what colour temp they will actually produce, what happens to the ones that are outside the tolerance limit of the brand? Wouldn't surprise me if to keep production costs down for the premium brand the producers had an agreement they could sell the same design fitting, with the b grade LEDs under a b grade brand of their own.

Guess you would have to hook up several of each brands lights to see if there is a difference in colour temperature consistency, or even lifespan of the LEDs. Is there a difference in warranty?

Here is an example -

6w LED Fire Rated Downlight - Warm White - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTCDL6WW.html

6w LED Downlight Warm White 3000k - White - https://www.lampshoponline.com/6w-led-downlight-warm-white-3000k-white.html

£5 difference in price which is a fair amount when your buying a few hundred a year.

Same product different packaging.

Reply to Inline switch on pendant light instead of wall switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net