Discuss installation advice very old property in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,
I need some advice........please don’t rip me to bits!!!.
I’m a newly qualified domestic installer, been in the electrical game for 30 years as an appliance engineer so have some background knowledge.
I want to register with one of the schemes, probably nic or Stroma however, I haven’t done any notifiable jobs yet so my plan is, as I’ve just moved house, as the CU is seriously out of date, I’ll fit a new board and use that as my assessment job.
This is where I’m struggling, my “house” is a 300 year old stone cottage, bare stone wall, exposed beam ceilings etc. All cabling is clipped direct and exposed.....no trunking due to the rough nature of the walls. No RCD protection, no bonding.......the list goes on!!! My plan is to update what I can....reasonably I.e. adding bonding, new board, RCD protection to all circuits, I’m just concerned that the rest of the wiring is so out of date(old colours, premature collapse etc) that there is no way I’ll get passed? Any advice or opinions gratefully received!!!

So test the existing installation with a view to establishing that it will be able to operate with RCD/bonding etc. If it does meet specs. then replace the box for your assessment. It may be there are such faults that it could be a nightmare in terms of tracking down faults if you don't check it all out beforehand. In the back of my mind there is a nagging feeling that a box change cannot be used for assessment I am not sure on this but best to check with the scheme you are going for first. So like an EICR or close to it before proceeding with the box change to assess the state of the cabling in the installation first. Is the installation TT? or???

first check condition of all cables. are they rubber? if so, then a rewire is advisable. if pvc then do dead tests, continuity, IR etc. if all good, then existing wiring can be left alone and connected into new CU.

whereabouts in Wales???

Hello and Welcome to the Forum :) .
Starting at the start - what's the suppliers intake like? Being an old installation it may need attention too and you can perhaps get an isolation switch to help you down the road.

All cabling is pvc T&E, I’ve done continuity, IR, and all well within regs. As for earthing system.......well, the cottage is literally in the middle of nowhere, 2 miles from nearest road, I’m fed from a small transformer on a pole approx’ 60 meters from the house, an overhead cable comes to the table and is then split into 3, 25mm2 cables that run down the wall and into the house so I would say it’s TN-C-S?, however, in the MET there is another earth cable going out to an earth rod??!
If I remove the main earth from the pole and do a Ze, I’m getting 0.3 ohms, so I’m confused by the earth rod.

In the back of my mind there is a nagging feeling that a box change cannot be used for assessment I am not sure on this but best to check with the scheme you are going for first
When I joined niceic few years back i used my own cu change for the 1st assessment as its chicken and egg scenario. Not sure for other schemes but the certsure lot will accept work in your own home on first assessment.

All cabling is pvc T&E, I’ve done continuity, IR, and all well within regs. As for earthing system.......well, the cottage is literally in the middle of nowhere, 2 miles from nearest road, I’m fed from a small transformer on a pole approx’ 60 meters from the house, an overhead cable comes to the table and is then split into 3, 25mm2 cables that run down the wall and into the house so I would say it’s TN-C-S?, however, in the MET there is another earth cable going out to an earth rod??!
If I remove the main earth from the pole and do a Ze, I’m getting 0.3 ohms, so I’m confused by the earth rod.
Possible that it was originally TT, then DNO converted it to PME. You would have to ask to be sure, but your Ze would suggest it is.

There is another possibility sometimes encountered on remote, end of line transformers serving one property, PNB. A phone call to your DNO sounds as if it is in order.

Reply to installation advice very old property in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock