Discuss Is it legal to convert old oven circuit into a 1off double socket circuit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All
I am new to this forum. Hope you are all well during these tough times.
I need some help regarding the modification to electrical wiring in my house. Please see a pic of the existing DB.
I removed the old electrical oven and installed a new one 2.99kW on the opposite wall. It will be powered through a separate new 6mm2 T&E + 50A cooker switch. Old circuit was protected by a separate 32A MCB - no RCD. The question is: may I wire the new oven into the same MCB? May I change it to a 20A MCB or 32 is a requirement? Is it ok there's no rcd for an oven circuit? Would miniRCBO be ok?
Second question: may I use old 6mm2 cable and its old 32A MCB (both previously used for old oven) to create new circuit for 1off double socket where the old cooker switch was installed? If yes what MCB or RCBO should I use? May I add another MCB to the existing RCCB? I know I can add 1off double socket to every existing socket or even more through switched fused spur but for some reasons I do not want to do that.
Thanks for any help
Please note all jobs will be carried by hiper qualified Electrician. The house wiring was installed new I believe in 2002 but house was built in 1960. Upstairs and downstairs power sockets and loo heater are protected by a single RCCB. No more rcd installed.
Regards
Is it legal to convert old oven circuit into a 1off double socket circuit? MY DB - EletriciansForums.net

It’s a good idea to rcd protect every circuit within the property, although not all are dictated by regulations, but when you think it’s a big metal cube, what are the implications of an earth fault and the entire appliance becoming live? An rcd or rcbo would protect against that.
If the cooker switch has a integrated socket, then regs state it must have rcd, also how the cable is run. (Less than 50mm behind wall surface)

Your hyper qualified electrician will give the same advice.... (what makes him hyper qualified?)

He could also have a look at incoming live. Quite a bit of bare (live!) copper showing there.

It’s a good idea to rcd protect every circuit within the property, although not all are dictated by regulations, but when you think it’s a big metal cube, what are the implications of an earth fault and the entire appliance becoming live? An rcd or rcbo would protect against that.
If the cooker switch has a integrated socket, then regs state it must have rcd, also how the cable is run. (Less than 50mm behind wall surface)

Your hyper qualified electrician will give the same advice.... (what makes him hyper qualified?)

He could also have a look at incoming live. Quite a bit of bare (live!) copper showing there.
I agree. Will install rcbo for new oven but does it have to be 32A or 20A is enough?

At 3kW, 16A is enough.... I’m assuming you’re in UK? Where is SWE?

Trouble is, the questions you are asking could be answered by your electrician, who should be doing the work for you.

We can advise DIY work to an extent, but when it includes working within the consumer unit itself, all we can say is “get an electrician in”

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Is it legal to convert old oven circuit into a 1off double socket circuit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock