Discuss Is surface mount cabling permitted? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a dumb idiot question, but I'm not a sparky and I have a need to know.

My wife and I are in a 15th Century cottage and most of the electrics is the original wiring from when electricity came to the village in the early '50s - lead covered stuff for the most part. We had a new consumer unit put in when we came here, but now we want to embark on a full rewire to make sure it's all safe. With the exception of the kitchen (a PVC ring circuit about 20 years old) it's all surface clipped radial circuitry with almost no overhead lighting (the lights are standard lamps plugged into wall sockets).

I want it to have 2 rings mains, one upstairs one down, and may consider putting a lighting ring in as well, but it's not certain yet as we have very little overhead room (people were so much shorter back then...), but I absolutely do NOT want to chase any walls out, nor use ugly conduit/trunking. Is it legal to surface mount the cables and clip them as they currently are or have regs ruled this option out?

Thanks in advance.

You can surface clip cables and comply with the regulations. It will probably look a lot worse than properly thought out trunking runs though.
If you are set on a surface clipped solution you could consider bare copper mineral insulated cable. It will by no means be a cheap job but may lend itself to the overall feel of the interior if done well.

Nothing is "illegal" or "legal"

There is nothing stopping an install from having surface mount cable BUT my recommendation is find somebody who can show you photographs of similar work under taken (and make sure they are relatively local to you!)

metal clips would have to be used in rooms which may be deemed an escape route now though wouldn't they chaps? and in a little cottage that could mean everywhere.

there are a lot better trunking solutions out there now though, D-line for example do a multitude of colours and shapes. they also do a selection made of wood

I'd still be wanting to install a lighting circuit even if it does 5A lighting points.

Thanks for your replies gentlemen, much appreciated.

Andy78; that cable sounds interesting, I'm assuming it's copper covered on the outside, is that correct?

SuffolksPark; Happy to use metal clips, I think they'll look better anyway. I had some wood trunking in another house a few years ago, but don't seem to be able to find it anywhere now. I'd certainly consider this too.

Thanks for your replies gentlemen, much appreciated.

Andy78; that cable sounds interesting, I'm assuming it's copper covered on the outside, is that correct?

It is yes. Look up MICC cable. It is expensive to buy though, and installing it is unfortunately a dying art. Make sure any contractor that installs it really knows what they are doing or it could just end up looking as much a dog's dinner as any other method

Hi - being a 15th century cottage, I guess it's heritage listed?
If so, its best to involve your local Council person early on as they probably have views how to do this. Perhaps they've already commented?

15th c. cottage in Kent? sounds like a little paradise. Why do you feel the need to "make it safe". Has something happened that makes you feel the wiring is not good? If you had a box change you must have a certificate which says it is all good? It is not impossible that what you have is ok. If it aint broke...

I agree that clipped cables can look a lot better than trunking or conduit in these situations, I'd be using the old style metal buckle clips if I was doing it. These are still being made by one manufacturer in the U.K.

15th c. cottage in Kent? sounds like a little paradise. Why do you feel the need to "make it safe". Has something happened that makes you feel the wiring is not good? If you had a box change you must have a certificate which says it is all good? It is not impossible that what you have is ok. If it aint broke...

Lead sheathed cable has well and truly had its day now, the chances of it being fit for continued service are pretty slim.

I agree that clipped cables can look a lot better than trunking or conduit in these situations, I'd be using the old style metal buckle clips if I was doing it. These are still being made by one manufacturer in the U.K.

look okay where they've been stained in with the timber aswell in some houses, I wasn't aware we could still get buckle clips though that's dam handy to know

Yeh they were a right pain to remove on old lead wiring you could not just pull it out you had to undo the clips and lever them out most times.

Vortigern: Well, I have to confess that while everything seems OK here, incidents that have happened regarding the sparky that put the CU in (Part P, 17th Ed. qual, etc) have made me doubt his work and I'd feel happier if it was all replaced so we can sleep well at night.

If your cottage isn't too big, then MICC might not be that expensive (although as said above, it will cost more than other cables)
It will look great once it's in (and done right) pity your so far away I could do with getting the cobwebs off the old crimp tool and joistripper!

have made me doubt his work
Ah yes, then that makes sense I must admit I was surprised to hear that you had a new CU on it, as it is very unlikely that lead sheathed could really be ok to continue in use, I thought maybe a miracle had occurred and your wiring was somehow preserved as it dare not fail in a 15c. cottage. So yes maybe a re-wire then. I do like the idea of MICC as suggested by @Andy78 it will look much more sympathetic with the environment it is going in. You can have it coated or bare copper.

Micc.jpg

Reply to Is surface mount cabling permitted? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net