Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Is this a decent price for a kitchen rewire? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000
Andy78

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
I agree with the £1500 mark, and I'm nowhere near London, physically or financially.

D

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
1100 is very much on the low side

i would say most companies in the London Area would be double that and some

2000 would be a very fair price

davesparks

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Hi all,

The ceiling is all open and an extension is being built and in total, the kitchen is going to be about 16m². Fuse board is nearby and the following is to be first and second fixed:

1x new cooker circuit - £80
2x heat/smoke- £140
8x sockets- £320
8x downlights- £400
3x switches- £120
1x spur- £40

Total= £1100.00

everything is supplied and fitted

Property is based in London with free parking and 5 mile drive from home. How would you price it as I am new to pricing so it may be too much or too less.
Submit the price that you have worked out, if you win the job then keep a good account of the job so that you can see exactly how much profit you made,and see where/how you need to adjust your pricing strategy.

telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
i would not submit that price without further thought, considering the replies so far, OP is too cheap. he shoud submit £2000 estimate and maybe negotiate down to around £1700.

Sparky00

Sparky00

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i would not submit that price without further thought, considering the replies so far, OP is too cheap. he shoud submit £2000 estimate and maybe negotiate down to around £1700.
As I said, I've never priced a job before or even knew about prices as I work for a small company as an apprentice. These figures have exceeded my expectations by far.

Thanks for the info!

davesparks

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
As I said, I've never priced a job before or even knew about prices as I work for a small company as an apprentice. These figures have exceeded my expectations by far.

Thanks for the info!
Has the company you work for asked you to price this as a learning exercise for your apprenticeship?

You need to remember to include overheads in your price, things like public liability insurance, scheme registration for part P, cost of dealing with any callbacks under warranty etc etc.

Sparky00

Sparky00

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has the company you work for asked you to price this as a learning exercise for your apprenticeship?

You need to remember to include overheads in your price, things like public liability insurance, scheme registration for part P, cost of dealing with any callbacks under warranty etc etc.
No it was purely out of curiosity, I've always wanted to know how qualified electricians price their jobs and for how much they do certain things for. I've got a lot to learn by the looks of it. This is a small job of a friends dad that has asked me to do it for him.

I thought it's a good idea to start learning from now to have a guideline setup for myself in the coming years.

While everyone is here, what are the main types of customers I should expect to come across too?

hasel5

hasel5

-
Arms
Supporter
Also the hassle factor of dealing with a builder who will say it is ready and its not then a final visit to connect appliances then a snagging visit to fit all the extras the builder forgot to tell you about and then the final final visit to screw straighten face plates after painter and tiler. And then you may be finished

telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
then the final final visit to screw straighten face plates, dig out all the crap, scrape off the paint, replace damaged accessories, repair to damaged cables, recut tiles so that faceplates actually fit, after painter and tiler.

corrected that tfor you.

Spoon

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
While everyone is here, what are the main types of customers I should expect to come across too?
A varied type of customers. Same as any walk of life. Some will be good, some will be pains.
Just remember to do detailed quotes. Do bullet points for what you are doing. E.g. 2 sockets in living room. 8 down lights in kitchen...... Then when they want extra doing you can charge them extra as it's not part of the quote.
Be careful. People on here have been stung... Have good T&C's. There was a thread where some of the people posted theirs for other to view and get ideas off. Do a search in here.
At the end of each days work, take pics of what you have done. It's proof for you if the customer tries something on by messing with your work.

P

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
At the end of each days work, take pics of what you have done. It's proof for you if the customer tries something on by messing with your work.
That is excellent advice for all jobs. Take lots of photos before and after, so nobody can argue about condition of surroundings, etc, that are unrelated to your work.

Also if pushed for time you have a good visual record for writing out the invoice afterwards, particularly for repair work when you don't have a simple specification/contract to begin with.

If you have a partner who can do some of the admin like writing up invoices, and chasing of bills, etc, it will save you a lot of useful time!

Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Is this a decent price for a kitchen rewire? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom