JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) jib card advice

Discuss jib card advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hi there
i am a mature student (38) and i am in my last year at college got my final 2330 exam in june , i have also nearly completed my nvq3 i have been working in the trade for about 3 years now .
i was told that i would not have to do a am2 test as these were for young apprentices , however the college im training at had a visit from the E V who told them that we had to do the am2 otherwise the nvq3 would not stand .
is this true as i have read other on the jib website .
any thoughts greatly appeciated
thanks .

This does not sound to far off. I would do it for for about £1,100. This would include 12 off monthly visits to your work place for 2 hours per visit plus petrol expenses. It would include registration and certification with the awarding body but not the cost of the AM2 test. I do this NVQ3 in my job as I am an NVQ Assessor and Electrician by trade.

If you were an apprentice you would get the lot for free!

doing mine for £550 at local tech college

Hi there shaker, interested in getting my nvq3, am 33 and been in the industry for about 8 years, have got my part 1 and 2 and 2391. never bothered about jib as never needed it, obviously the way the industry is at mo think it will be beneficial to have. does you know of a good place to get. many thanks..

Hi

Just send off your NVQ Level Three to the JIB with a letter from an approved spark which gives you a reference that he feels you are good enough to be a electrician.

100% you will get your ticket.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there shaker, interested in getting my nvq3, am 33 and been in the industry for about 8 years, have got my part 1 and 2 and 2391. never bothered about jib as never needed it, obviously the way the industry is at mo think it will be beneficial to have. does you know of a good place to get. many thanks..
I can deliver it for you as I am a qualified NVQ Assessor on the Electrotechnical NVQ3 what area do you live in?

i m based in ilford, essex. what would the total cost be for nvq 3.
Hi jimmy j. the cost depends on you in the main and how fast you can do it. The fastest I've seen it done is 8 months. I normally say 12 months is about normal. The cost based on 12 months includes twelve 2 hour visits by an NVQ Assessor, registration and certification with EAL or C&G but not an AM2 test is about £1,100. If you have a training provider who charges by the visit the cost of a visit will be about £90 so the quicker you do it the cheaper.

He did the AM2 but that was separate. It was all funded as he is under 25. He did the NVQ in 3/4 months then did the AM2 a couple of weeks after his NVQ had been signed off. He has had his AM2 certificate but is still waiting for his NVQ cert, and that was about 7 weeks ago!

Heres the deal.
C&G papers up to level 3, ECS and NVQ3. Apply for card and you should be graded as an electrician. AM1 & 2 are for young lads doing a JIB apprenticeship only. It does not apply to adult trainees. To be an approved electrician you will need a C&G 2391 testing and inspection ticket. It used to be the case that you needed to have spent a certain amount of time in the industry before you could be considered approved. (I know guys who did a 7 year apprenticeship in the late 60's early 70's who could not be considered as approved untill they were 23) however, i'm not too sure of that now.
Wilber.

wilbur is correct am1&2 are for apprentices that have done a scheme like jtl.if you book for an am2 they will take your money!!
you want to do level 3 nvq,its not level 3 2330 either.best way is to do it online with QUICK•STEP® LAMINATE FLOORING
as 4 jib unless your boss is holding back your pay,you'll haft to leave b4 they up it 9 times out of 10.
im never paying another fee to jib again,after finding out theyb are looking to set up centres in poland to get them reg'd & carded up.ive had job offers 4 jib sparks under the jib rate,which takes the pee!!!!!!

www.jib.org will give you all the grading definitions you require and the application forms to download. If you are trying to get approved status, you must have the 2391. If you have the passport to safety(CCNSG) that should also mean you do not have the ECS and you will be granted that and the CSCS automatically. As far as I'm concerned and I work totally in Industrial(Oil & Gas, Steelworks, Power generation, Water treatment and Pharmaceutical), you will not be considered without a current JIB card on most jobs. Hope this helps, regards, Dan.

well after 6 weeks im still waiting for my card :( pretty poor bad service i think.

ST spark,
I find that incredibly strange, did your company apply or did you and did you/ they apply for the grade or let JIB decide?

I applied for it myself hopeing to get electrician grade or at least improver, as a sole trader i thought it might help getting work with bigger firms. Jib said that because i have no nvq i cant get the spark card and i cant get improver or trainee as im not currently doing an nvq. So from what they saying u have to do the nvq, but i no sparks with electrician card that dont have the nvq..! bit of a joke int it!

Out of interest any1 no how much is the nvq 3 course??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Pgee.

I've been trawling the net to try and find various training companies that offer NVQ3.Prices start from £600 upwards.Obviously college prices are a bit cheaper but I can't seem to find one in my local area that does it and I doubt wether a college tutor in Cornwall is going to be too keen on travelling upto Durham on occasions! It looks like I may have to postpone this course as at the moment I just haven't got that kind of money.

I wish I was an apprentice like but unfortunately I missed that particular boat,so everything I've done has been self-funded.I'd just like to gain the JIB card because as I'm not working at the moment,nearly all the agencies I'm in touch with are asking for JIB graded electricians.

Apparently I do not need to do the AM2 for my grading.(the JIB's own words).

I shall persevere.:(

I am in exactly the same boat, I got these quals from the army

City and Guilds 2390 parts 1 & 2
City and Guilds 2360 C Course
City and Guilds 2381 16th Edition, wiring regs
City and Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing

And I applied for JIB card, as nearly every one wants CSCS now. I got it back last week and it says Senior graded electical trainee. No use to me is it!!! It has my CSCS proof on it so every job on site i go to now i'm a 29 year old apprentice? What is the point in doin havin those qualifications then???? NVQ3 is a swear word in my dictionary. I cant afford the costs to do it and i kinda think I shouldnt have to with what i've got!!!

just get a bog standard cscs if, they ask if your jib just say yes,ive never been asked for my serial no.
you can say you have not renewed your card if need be & provide your cert's.

Reply to jib card advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock