Discuss Joint in switch box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Neutral is better at the switch than at the rose, and this is the way it is often done now. It allows for smart switches to be fitted, and also makes it easier to fit replacement light fittings.

Some folk on here take a three core from rose to switch to give both options. I believe Tel is trying to patent this.

Its very much the norm now, most new builds are wired this way.
LBH its far better to have less cables at the ceiling point these days,ceiling roses are not much used today plus N at the switch.

aprt from which customers insist on buying lights from the likes of Ikeacrap and Bodge & Quick which have cable entries only just large enough for 1 x T/E.

Sometime ago it was a No no,taking neutrals to switches, got a warning from the electrician in charge.
He always made us tape the connection up @ the switch, how times have changed.

Don't fit many 3 plate ceiling roses these days as mostly recessed lights or some special 'feature' light.
A junction box would need to be MF (most probably) which adds a few more £££'s
Neutrals at the switch box, apart from reasons already given, make testing and fault finding so much easier!

back in the days of 16th, I was told exactly that. my response was "show me a reg. and I'll alter it". silence was the reply.
Same here. Wasn't there something about unused neutrals to a fixed connection point......or was that just 'good practice'?....a bit stupid and futile really.
Some must have toyed with the idea of basic switches including a neutral (loop-in) connection.

Same here. Wasn't there something about unused neutrals to a fixed connection point......or was that just 'good practice'?....a bit stupid and futile really.
resistance is futile.

When I started out we did it both ways on rewires and new builds , but over time just started to feed the switches...gradually doing all houses by feeding the switch.
the only time I consider feeding the light is if I only want to pull a single cable down to a switch using an existing tube on a rewire....

Reply to Joint in switch box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net