Discuss Kitchen appliances & sockets, switches, isolation etc. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

infaddict

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

First post so go easy on me. Looking for some advice on kitchen appliances (washing machine, dishwasher and fridge/freezer) because I have to move some of them in a kitchen redesign happening soon.

At the moment, I have above bench fused switches for each appliance, then below bench sockets (no switch) on the wall, where the appliance actually plugs in. There is limited space available so I no longer want the sockets on the wall behind the appliance.

For 2 of the appliances, the above counter fused switch can stay in place but I want to move (extend slightly) the under bench socket from the wall, to a socket in a surface mounted backbox in an adjoining cupboard. This will still be easily accessible for isolation or emergencies. Am I ok to replace the current under bench wall socket with an outlet plate (e.g. 20A unswitched flex outlet plate) and run 2.5mm cable a short distance (1m ish) to the new socket in the surface mounted backbox?

For 1 of the appliances, the above counter fused switch will be covered during the redesign by a cupboard so becomes inaccessible without removing back of cupboard. The cupboards do have a recessed back to allow for surface wiring etc. For this, I was proposing to replace the above counter fused switch with an outlet plate and run 2.5mm cable the short distance to a nearby cupboard where the appliance would plug in (again, a socket in a surface mounted back box). I have 2 questions on this: i) should the new socket be fused or is the appliance plug fuse sufficient . ii) is my intended approach of leaving surface mounted wiring behind a cupboard acceptable?

If there are better solutions to achieve the above then please let me know and thanks in advance.

Firstly I would recommend employing an electrician to carry out any alterations or additions of this type.

Placing a socket outlet for an appliance in an adjacent cupboard, would be ok. You don’t need to have an above worktop ‘switch’, unless your complying with Part M, i.e. a new build.

If a socket outlet would be hidden by a cupboard, I would recommend relocating it, if possible. If not the faceplate should be removed, and suitable maintenance free connectors and blanking plate used. Somewhere documented, that the joint is located behind the cupboard.

I have done quite a few kitchen refurbishments, relocating or adding sockets etc. I often did it by removing/altering/rewiring rather than covering them up. Often the work was done by removing part of the ceiling, if there was expensive flooring above. The plasterboard ceiling would be reinstated, skimmed & decorated.

As said, I would recommend employing an electrician.

If the space behind the appliances is just a few mm too short, fitting flush sockets might be a quicker/easier option. Recessed sockets exist, but you need more wall thickness than you will find in most houses to fit them!

Thanks for your replies. I'm a homeowner and not a tradesmen, hence trying to understand the nature of job before deciding how to continue.

Thanks for your replies. I'm a homeowner and not a tradesmen, hence trying to understand the nature of job before deciding how to continue.
Well beyond you’re remit then. Get someone qualified and experienced to design and quote for the complete installation, as required.

In my experience @infaddict, quite often in a kitchen refurb' in an older property, you can spend some considerable time putting right what the previous owners/kitchen fitters have bodged.

Are you altering your lighting? The ceiling method, is the easiest way to approach things.

Reply to Kitchen appliances & sockets, switches, isolation etc. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock