Discuss Kitchen refit - sockets moved from wall to units? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
32amp rfc supplying two gang sockets in wall behind kitchen units. At present horrible holes have been cut in the back of the units to get access to the sockets for appliances. New units going in. Whats the best way of extending to a pattress in the back of the unit? In essence Im looking for and unfused connection unit that will fit to a double back box.

@ Buzz,
or better still put a planking plate on and come out off the back box by extending the cable .
So what is the difference with my suggestion, which you disagreed with?? I would extend the cables using a maintenance free joint within the back box and cover over with a blanking plate.
[automerge]1568634441[/automerge]
Yes, could do but am somewhat surprised that there isn't a purpose built product especially as this must be quite a common scenario. Perhaps Im over complicating things!
I agree, which is why I suggested a maintenance free joint since the blanking plate may not be easily accessible.

Just trying to get a neat way of routing the cable through the blanking plate which ideally would need some sort of clamp to protect it from being pulled and stressing the actual conductor connectors.

if you put a maintenance free in side the back box does it defeat the job .it is no difference then then putting in wagos .
Sorry Buzz, but I really don't understand your point?
The back boxes are already there and make for a good enclosure, a "maintenance free" joint is more reliable than a screw connection but just as easy to install, the blanking plate forms an almost neat flush enclosure cover but remains accessible (though limited by the kitchen cupboards in this case) should the joint ever need exposing in a worst case scenario.

Sorry Buzz, but I really don't understand your point?
The back boxes are already there and make for a good enclosure, a "maintenance free" joint is more reliable than a screw connection but just as easy to install, the blanking plate forms an almost neat flush enclosure cover but remains accessible (though limited by the kitchen cupboards in this case) should the joint ever need exposing in a worst case scenario.

You don't get many maintainence free joint boxes that will fit inside a flush box though.
Wago's in the flush box are a sensible alternative to screw terminals, but this is not a maintainence free joint because the manufacturer has not specified it as such.

You don't get many maintainence free joint boxes that will fit inside a flush box though.
Wago's in the flush box are a sensible alternative to screw terminals, but this is not a maintainence free joint because the manufacturer has not specified it as such.
Right, so the crux of this conversation is what is actually defined as a "maintenance free" joint. I never specified what style of joint.

Right, so the crux of this conversation is what is actually defined as a "maintenance free" joint. I never specified what style of joint.
Exactly, Wago only state MF when using their connectors in their correct enclosure as an example.

wagos in a standard back box with blanking plate be fine. . maintenance free by definition or just plain common sense.
My point, the manufacturers are just covering their a***s in case of liability.

If you want to do it totally by the manufacturer's recommendations then chop out the back boxes make the holes bigger and fix back the wago's enclosure. (complete waste of time and effort in my opinion)
[automerge]1568636736[/automerge]
If this is going to turn into a debate on definitions then I retract my original suggestion of "maintenance free" and re-place it with "requires minimal maintenance". :rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses folks. Just makes you wonder how many non MF sockets and connection units are hidden and inaccessible behind fitted kitchen units :eek:

Thousands and possibly millions...

Rip out a kitchen that was fitted in the 1980s or 1990s and I would bet my bottom dollar you will find at least one totally hidden jointed cable

Reply to Kitchen refit - sockets moved from wall to units? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net