Discuss Kitchen refit - sockets moved from wall to units? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

32amp rfc supplying two gang sockets in wall behind kitchen units. At present horrible holes have been cut in the back of the units to get access to the sockets for appliances. New units going in. Whats the best way of extending to a pattress in the back of the unit? In essence Im looking for and unfused connection unit that will fit to a double back box.
Might have to fit a double accessory box and fit fcu and a single socket

No. Just need to jump across the service gap at the rear of unit and feed a new surface mounted double socket.

Arrgh. I was going to suggest an access panel for maintenance purposes.

When I did kitchen refurbs and socket outlet point (now behind new floor unit) was required to be reused, I'd rewire it, priced accordingly. Its going to be a bit of a bodge (IMO), trying 'jump across the service gap'.

In my experience, you sometimes wonder how an expert joiner, who spends days fitting a kitchen, perfect mitre on the worktop, but cant cut a simple square hole to access a socket behind a unit. Last one I worked on, the joiners left a hole.... I cant say if its a square with curved sides or a circle with corners.

Same job. Microwave in wall unit with socket in unit above. I'd left the socket on a deep pattress... all the joiner had to do was cut a square hole so the socket would protrude through into the unit.... Nope.... 2 inches off measurement. I had to come back and move the socket to suit HIS hole.

In my experience, you sometimes wonder how an expert joiner, who spends days fitting a kitchen, perfect mitre on the worktop, but cant cut a simple square hole to access a socket behind a unit. Last one I worked on, the joiners left a hole.... I cant say if its a square with curved sides or a circle with corners.

Same job. Microwave in wall unit with socket in unit above. I'd left the socket on a deep pattress... all the joiner had to do was cut a square hole so the socket would protrude through into the unit.... Nope.... 2 inches off measurement. I had to come back and move the socket to suit HIS hole.
i'd have altered his hole ( and i don't mean the hole in the kitchen unit). once had similar. builder/joiner cut hole on board for a double socket, even after i told him that i'd do it. when i fitted the socket, it was 3 inches lower than the other one 4ft. away. customer wanted me to pay to reboard that section of wall. i said how does pi$$ off sound. get the builder back.

yeah. pointless fitting an enclosure within another enclosure.

I have seen a twin blanking plate drilled out and connector blocks used to make a ‘make shift’ connection plate
Funnily enough having purchased a couple of MK blanking plates, it can be seen that they incorporate two knock/drill out areas suitable to take a cable out.
CC8E9994-33F7-4D71-B127-007536B42404.jpeg

found this today so as was said before its amazing what you find in a kitchenIMG_1232.JPG
[automerge]1568823836[/automerge]
The cooker cable was similar with 3 sets of joints in one pice of cable. Easy fix lift hatches pull cables under floor and re route but as was pointed out this isn't always possible

Funnily enough having purchased a couple of MK blanking plates, it can be seen that they incorporate two knock/drill out areas suitable to take a cable out.
View attachment 52313
Used these for similar purpose to the OP, just use wagos in the back box but double the cables over avd cable tie to give additional stress relief. If someone gives it a real tug they'll bring the whole lot through the blanking plate before the cable joint fails.

Show willing and apply some common sense.

found this today so as was said before its amazing what you find in a kitchenView attachment 52326
[automerge]1568823836[/automerge]
The cooker cable was similar with 3 sets of joints in one pice of cable. Easy fix lift hatches pull cables under floor and re route but as was pointed out this isn't always possible

If you do regular work in houses and flats you will come across these tape joints on a daily basis

What amazes me is that they remain buried under plaster or cement for decades without problem

Interesting discussion. I'm not saying I wouldn't do what you propose, but are we not breaking reg 526.3 doing it this way? I do agree that it seems pointless putting an enclosure inside another enclosure, so would this be considered a departure?

Interesting discussion. I'm not saying I wouldn't do what you propose, but are we not breaking reg 526.3 doing it this way? I do agree that it seems pointless putting an enclosure inside another enclosure, so would this be considered a departure?
Yes, but it is a highly sensible solution to the problem that will never give any cause for concern. It also looks a lot tidier than a wago box hanging out of an open back box.

Reply to Kitchen refit - sockets moved from wall to units? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net