Discuss Moving sockets upwards from skirting boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

vanessap

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

This might be a bit of an odd question, I would really appreciate your thoughts. I am trying to up-date my mum's home, before putting it on the market for her as she has moved to a care home.

I've changed the boiler, consumer unit, the kitchen has been rewired, I've added insulation to her loft, the roof has been checked and quite and few other bits.

With the electrics, the one thing outstanding that playing in my mind are that nearly all of the electrical sockets have been screwed onto the skirting boards, which means that it is very difficult to plug adapters etc in.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on if you feel this is necessary, when selling a home and to ask a diy question please.

I have been researching the cost of new chased sockets. I wondered your thoughts on me chasing the sockets myself and then asking an electrician to wire the sockets in please? It would mean extending the sockets up and I don't know if that would mean a completely new run to to the box for each socket moved upwards or if the old socket can be removed and the cable extended safely up from the skirting please?

I am thinking how to get the best sale for my mum, but also would like to offer a home that is accessible. I understand from my research that it can cost around £50-125 per socket and there will be something like 8 sockets that need moving upwards by about 20-30cm.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For some context, I trained in site carpentry and basic plastering, whilst I've not chased for this purpose I feel I can figure it out with some trial and error (fingers crossed).

Thank you so much in advance,
Vanessa

Hi Everyone,

I wondered I think I'be made some headway on this; been researching SDS drills today.

I wanted to ask if anyone might have any advice on chasing cables that are on the ceiling and in trunking? I have been reading about multitools, apparently doubling up the blade and then fishing the cables through.

Sorry for all the questions!

Many thanks,
Vanessa

I am happy to endorse the view of @littlespark
I had many years of selling houses for a living and frankly, with the price of property these days, the state of the electrical system, while not uppermost in every buyer's mind, is a small proportion of the cost of the house.
Yes, the new owners want a new kitchen and bathroom to cause envy from Sadie down the road, and will spend thousands on these, but grudge any money spent on stuff they can't see...and question every penny on your quote.
Decide on the price of your house, as is, and sell it, as is.
The alternative is spend a lot bringing everything up to perfection...and lose money.
Yes, you can throw some magnolia emulsion on the walls, add a few shiny chrome switches etc but you will not fool a professional.

Are the sockets all in surface back boxes and have trunking run to them?

The boxes in the bedrooms are like this though the boxes in the living room have cables fed in from under the floorboards. There are a few sockets in the living room that look very dated and have been installed in a very strange way.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, thank you for making me smile! I've been obsessing a bit about this for the last few days, thank you for some food for thought :)

If you were staying in the house I'd say get them moved with you doing the chasing and plastering. You'll probably be better at plastering than me anyway and it would keep costs down. But since you're selling, this sounds like a buyers problem. There's a good chance they'll want stuff moving anyway.

Reply to Moving sockets upwards from skirting boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net