Discuss Landlord consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am the landlord. I have an electrical background but not domestic so am unsure of the current regs. The installation is as Anthonybragg describes. All other parts of the installation have passed other than the split load issue. Seems a little over the top for five cct terraced house!
What code is placed against this issue ? As said above, any competent inspector would have noted this as a C3 at most.

Split load generally referred to part non rcd and part rcd. Your pic is generally referred to as dual rcd. The OPs board has five circuits so I suspect his terminology is at odds with what he means.

No cert has been issued yet. Just told over the phone. Was going to do the work myself then he’d retest and issue the cert. wanted to make sure the work was necessary because of time and cost

Split load refers to having two separately controlled supplies(either rcd or non rcd protected) fed via one main switch.If the OP had a split load board fitted then 2 circuits would be on one rcd and 3 circuits on the other.(Quite often i find that when separating the circuits in a 5 way board that there is usually a extra circuit that has been popped into say a 32 amp breaker with the ring.When fitting the new board,this extra circuit can go on its own 16 amp breaker and you'll end up with 3 circuits on one side and 3 on the other)

The chances are,if a new consumer unit be fitted it will likely be a metal clad number with two Rcds to split the circuits

In my own opinion the system you have currently is safer than whats presently permitted for TT systems
That is because the casing has the potential to become live with no protection by disconnection required
By that I mean no protection other than what they seem to term "enhanced protection" a sort of clamping or support to the tails to prevent the possible nasty fault occurring where a live exposed tails can touch the metal,perhaps just relying on only the supply fuse to hopefully pop

There again you could fit a Rcd before the tails to better protect,but don't you already have that?:)

Reply to Landlord consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock