Discuss Lap c*ap... I know, but its requested by the customer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
A good customer of mine has bought a brand new house, with existing outside sockets of the Lap brand, fitted by the builders, I don't know who did the electrical work.
The external sockets (3 of) are wired on the rfc… He would like another socket at the bottom of the garden for his "beer shed" fridge, and maybe another one. Asked for them to match the Lap ones on the house.
The question is, do Lap do an external 13A switch fuse? I only see sockets and lightswitches on Screwfix. (is Screwfix the only supplier of Lap?)

Just typing this... I think I've got a solution. Take the external socket off the rfc, install a SFCU inside and have everything outside as a radial off it.

The Lap stuff looks really nice but I have regretted installing it in the past. The switches on the sockets have a tendency to just stop working....usually they just get stuck in the 'ON' position. I've also had a couple that have stopped accepting plugs properly...in that they will only go half way in, actually quite dangerous really.

I actually have a few spares which I am keeping for a couple of customers when I get the inevitable phone call.

As far as availability....it is all on the Screwfix website, as far as I know it is their own make.

I had a LAP SFCU which did not turn off...:) a very good reminder to rely on checking safe isolation,using proper means...and not just a manufacturer's promise :rolleyes:

Have you told the customer that you and others have had problems with Lap items malfunctioning in the past?
See what he says. If he insists on you installing something that you are not happy with then maybe you could put something in the quote, to the affects of: If the Lap item fails within the warranty period you will replace the part, but the customer has to pay you for the time. Just a thought..

I think the LAP weatherproof sockets seem pretty good. Well made, robust and at present no failures. Sorry for not answering the question though.

Let the customer purchase it and tell him you are supplying no warranty with it as it is the single worst brand I have ever seen or installed it is such poor quality I'm surprised it even passes to be on the market

Funnily enough I've had no issues at all with Lap, but BG accessories is another story. IMO they've gone downhill in recent years, even the 'premium' Nexus stuff. Although the external sockets are good.

Thanks for replies.

Spur from existing outside socket was feasible as it would be a spur from the ring, but customer now wants a second socket further along the bottom of the garden. Can’t have a spur off a spur without the FCU.

Already thought of replacing a single socket plate with an FCU inside the external rated box, but it’s the wrong shape. Not standard square shape.

I think I’ll suggest to customer turning the outside socket into a spur and fitting an FCU inside. Then just link from socket to socket to socket as a radial. I am assuming there’s a double socket inside and enough space to add a box and FCU.

LAP do a very good (IMO) IP65 Led batten, doesn't allow for back entry but when it's a new installation the fitting allows for wiring either end making wiring a doddle.

https://www.screwflix..com/p/lap-tw...MI3fzPwueb4gIVRIjVCh3Y7wbbEAQYAiABEgL8ufD_BwE

Reply to Lap c*ap... I know, but its requested by the customer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock