Discuss Laser measure devices - suggestions please in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Fed up with using a tape measure and in the market for a laser device

Any suggestions?
Recommendations from personal experience?

Thanks

I've got one of these:-

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/bosch-glm50c-laser-rangefinder/6664k

And I like it. If you want to go full nerd you can link it up to an app on Android or iOS and draw floor plans.

I held off buying a cheaper one for quite a while and I'm pretty glad I did.

Edit:- I can't compare it to others as I've never owned any others. But it's feature packed, batteries last quite a while.

I’ve got the Leica DISTO D2 it’s similar to the Bosch that sparkychick has. They both connect via Bluetooth to an app.

Though the plan drawing is a fiddle and takes some messing with to get used to on the Leica, don’t know if the Bosch is better designed.

Either would be a great buy.

Though the plan drawing is a fiddle and takes some messing with to get used to on the Leica, don’t know if the Bosch is better designed.

Sounds like you've had the same experience as me.

Don't get me wrong, the app works, but I whole heartedly agree with
@Wes1000 's assessment of it. Too fidly. Much easier to sketch a plan on paper and record the measurements on that.

It might help if I spent the time to get used to it but it just seemed such a faff so I've never bothered. Plus, it's much easier to make notes on a paper plan.

I use a Leica Disto410 for surveying buildings and measuring cable runs. Very rugged and robust and the laser can be seen in outdoor light plus it has a camera for pin pointing specific areas.

I'm following this with interest because I've never taken the plunge and bought a laser measure. I think it's a trust issue maybe.

I still use an analogue vernier, an 8 meter tape, an antique 100m steel tape and a 50 year old measuring wheel with an analogue counter on it depending on the distance being measured.

Have the Leica D510 works outdoors and has camera take a photo with your iPhone and then transfer the measurements to the photo via the app - agree with others the app floor plans v fiddly but photos with measurements
BUT cost £450 and scared to bring to site bought a£35 one off eBay and use it all the time and chuck it in the tool box
My mate and I did a test over 50 m and the Ebay hobby v Leica was only 3mm out in comparison

only laser distance measuring devices i have used were in the forces, ... we had a laser measure device in a workshop that could measure hair thickness if so programmed! could never understand the purpose of it myself! most of the time it was out of order and in need or fixing.
I have been looking into a decent handheld one myself but they all make bold claims and im a bit cynical so will be looking at reliable reviews. i was going to have a look at one of the trade shows and compare models.

Another Leica Disto D2 fan here. Had it's predecessor for about 15 years, in daily use. Bought the D2 a couple of years ago and it's just great.

I have had 3 the first one was a Lidl special, the second was a bosh and my current one is an Amazon special,

They all work the same more or less, some have more bells and whistles than others. The bosh liked the batteries too much and crashed occasionally, I lost it on a job or I would still be using it. The lidl one was chunky and when I renewed the battery smoke started to appear so it got dumped.

The latest one has a few bells and whistles like it will work out the squreM or cubicM , I only use the basic measure from one side to the other that's all I need so why spend big?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Distance-P...Y340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=laser+measure&psc=1

Look at the reviews when I did they compared it to top of the range ones and there was no difference

Reply to Laser measure devices - suggestions please in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net