Discuss Lead sheathed 2 core lighting circuits /EIC in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening All,
I'm changing a CU from rewirable to 6 x RCBO in a Victorian flat. The two lighting circuits are lead sheathed 2 core, they appear physically undamaged though I've yet to test them but is this an automatic EIC fail?
The switches and pendants are all plastic.
Thanks for any pointers,
Pete

Evening All,
I'm changing a CU from rewirable to 6 x RCBO in a Victorian flat. The two lighting circuits are lead sheathed 2 core, they appear physically undamaged though I've yet to test them but is this an automatic EIC fail?
The switches and pendants are all plastic.
Thanks for any pointers,
Pete
Might want to think about warning your client that the lighting circuits need rewiring for safety's sake. Just saying it's your job Mate, you're the Sparks, your name on the EIC once the CU has been reinstated, and you issue the cert.

google says that cable type is between 65 and 85 years old.
i think you are seriously pushing your luck and judgement to claim that it is suitable for continued service.

they probably paid less than 2d per 100m so i think they have got their use out of it!!

I'd also not be changing that board until rewired. What's the rest of the cabling like ?

I would not even consider a CU change, this material just crumbles away soon as you touch it, over 65 years old plus.
Explain to the client that it is way past its service and that rewiring these circuits should be addressed ASAP.

The weak link here is not the lead itself but the rubber insulation, and also the long history of wear and tear and damage on any installation that old (even if the cable itself is perfect). The airtight lead sheath actually helps to preserve the rubber but it will still deteriorate at the exposed ends just as fast. Rubber insulation ages in unpredictable ways due to subtle differences in the formulation and processing. Some might be OK for another 70 years, some might already be internally disintegrated to dust. I have some unused lead-sheathed rubber-insulated cable from the 1930s that is as good as new; the insulation is tough and supple and off the scale for IR, but there's no telling how long it will last.

Another problem with lead in domestic installations is that the sheath was normally used as the CPC (although there were a few types with a copper CPC). Continuity was maintained at junction boxes and fittings by screw clamps, but the lead tends to flow over time and the clamps become slack, resulting in uncertain continuity.

Lead-sheathed paper-insulated cables are still in widespread use, e.g. DNO distribution and service cables, which can be sound at 100 years old or more and might outlast plastic-insulated cables we're installing now. But those are sealed and impregnated with compound that acts as a preservative as well as an insulator.

Reply to Lead sheathed 2 core lighting circuits /EIC in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock