Discuss Leaving jobs before completion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As the title, anyone here got experience of leaving jobs part way through?

I've a client we've been doing some major work for that is pi$$ing me right off. Making all sorts of unreasonable demands and is now saying that the work he's been really happy with up to now is a load of crap and has taken us too long and cost him too much. All payments so far are up to date so I'm not out of pocket, but in his mind I'm being unreasonable, in my mind he's being unreasonable.

I'd rather do without the aggro so have essentially told him to find someone else to second fix the project as I'm no longer interested. Things is, if I bail, he's pretty much buggered as he'll have to find another spark to start in a weeks time which is highly unlikely.

That im not so much bothered with, but it's the bovine excrement he's likely to start spreading about me that I am.

I can go into real detail if anyone wants.

Any thoughts?

There's a weeks worth of work for three plus a few grands worth of materials.

He's paid for all labour and materials so far and everything is up to date. I'm owed nothing and owe him nothing. Materials that have yet to be installed that he has already paid for have been left on site.

Well if your paid up its down to how much collateral damage he could possibly cause to your reputation

is he part of a larger network of your clientbase or a one off customer?

i have stayed on at a job like this before just out professional courtesy, only to be knocked the final payment for my trouble

If you can't sit down with him and discuss reasonably his issues and problems, and be able to offer your thoughts and comments, I know what I'd be doing. Ask for a 'clear the air' meeting. If he refuses, at least you've tried. ..then burn the buggers house down (last bit is a joke)

If you can't sit down with him and discuss reasonably his issues and problems, and be able to offer your thoughts and comments, I know what I'd be doing. Ask for a 'clear the air' meeting. If he refuses, at least you've tried. ..then burn the buggers house down (last bit is a joke)

I think this would be best, apart from the last bit lol

If its just second fix left, I think I'd bite the bullet and finish off - easy to say as its not me he is P$$$$$g off.
Is there a contract?
Also whilst still there, might be an idea to get some images to back you up if all goes belly up in the end.

Part of me feels sorry for the guy regardless of how much he's pi$$ed me off with his rudeness, demanding and bombastic attitude and his unreasonable expectations and thinks that I should bite the bullet too.

The other side of me says fluck it! If he spoke to me that way in the pub he'd end up head first through the window! I barely stand to make much profit on the second fix anyway. The fella now thinks I'm a cowboy and won't ever use me again anyway so why bother. Why stress myself out worrying about whether he's gonna pay me or not after completion for the sake of helping him out.

As my colleague says; "Regardless of your feelings, he's flucked up trying to be a project manager without being willing to accept any of the responsibilities of a project manager, and he knows it. That ain't your problem Damian, he's brought it on himself".

Long story short, money up front is not an option. For business reasons I can only recieve money in may, three weeks from now. Don't ask as it's a boring story that involves tax and accountants.

I dunno, I've told people to 'do one' before and not thought twice about it, just don't know why this one is grating on me?!

I walked out on a restaurant eicr a while back. The bloke was really grating on me, why do you have to turn the power off? What's wrong with that it works perfectly? Why can't I have this, that or the other? The final straw was when he asked if I was sure I knew what I was doing.
I said "the great thing about being self employed is, I get to do this" packed my gear up and walked away. He was houting and bawling about how he was going to make my name mud among the local asian community.
It's done me no harm whatsoever.
I'd do it again if necessary

Difficult one mate. I've always been a believer in 'don't burn your bridges'.

Can you organise a mediation meeting with you, your client and someone impartial? Make it clear that you are as unhappy as your client, but equally unhappy to leave an unresolved situation?

Obviously i don't know the particulars, but maybe there is a suitable mediator such as an architect who could negotiate a middle way and perhaps take advance payment to be released to yourself upon satisfactorily completed works.

Only you can decide dude, but you have to ask yourself honestly if you want to chuck your toys out, but then cogitate on it for months to come. Again, not knowing you, you have to ask yourself if you have the personality type to do that. Personally I don't, and it would bother me for the rest of my life if I felt i had not explored every avenue of conflict resolution.

Good luck and let us know.

Voltz

Why isn't he happy with the work that's been completed?

He was, but as soon as he started thinking he could 'order' me about, I told him where to go. He told me that I have to ditch other customers to tend to him as he is a priority. I politely said that I can't, and that I have met your every request so far, but that this time, he's gonna have to wait a week for me to start second fix. Then he started telling me that the work toon too long, that we've cost him more money and that its not very good (despite the fact that every stage so far has been completed on time, on budget and to his satisfaction). He then took to being rude about my family and getting personal so I politely said that if he didn't like my services then please feel free to find someone else to finish the job.

He then essentially threw his rattle and told me to get lost.

Now he's realised that im for real, he knows he's buggered. He's begging me to do the work but he's still being a see you next Tuesday about it tryi NF to pass the blame for his own ineptitude on to me.

I didn't trust the guy from the word go, hence why it was materials up front, weekly payments for labour, and I've been proved right, the guy is a nob and a weasel.

I can easily do without the bother and am more than happy holding my head high if I walk away, yet I still feel like I shouldn't be leaving him in the proverbial.

He hates me, but he needs me. Without me, he's gonna be many thousands of pounds out of pocket!

Quite an interesting situation to be in.

Last edited:
Try to have a meeting first mate. Sometimes Its better outcome for both parties. If you don't then he / she may still attempt to damage your business profile after you have completed the work and the client is no longer in need.

I can empathise, I personally would hate to leave a job unfinished for the sake of pride if nothing else. Bearing in mind everything you have said about this customer though, The only way I would want to carry out a second fix would be payment up front and everything in writing.
The ideas of a mediation session might be a way to chill things down a bit, but if you were to walk I wouldn't blame you at all. This guy sounds like a right tool to deal with and his spots aren't going to just change overnight.

I would have the final payment up front as Andy says, bite the lip and finish the job and put it behind me. If you go back your integrity is intact , if you don't the allegations he makes against you may be heard with credibility by those who hear his claims.
He sounds the type who may embellish the situation.

He was, but as soon as he started thinking he could 'order' me about, I told him where to go. He told me that I have to ditch other customers to tend to him as he is a priority. I politely said that I can't, and that I have met your every request so far, but that this time, he's gonna have to wait a week for me to start second fix. Then he started telling me that the work toon too long, that we've cost him more money and that its not very good (despite the fact that every stage so far has been completed on time, on budget and to his satisfaction). He then took to being rude about my family and getting personal so I politely said that if he didn't like my services then please feel free to find someone else to finish the job.

Now he's realised that im for real, he knows he's buggered. He's begging me to do the work but he's still being a see you next Tuesday about it tryi NF to pass the blame for his own ineptitude on to me.

I didn't trust the guy from the word go, hence why it was materials up front, weekly payments for labour, and I've been proved right, the guy is a nob and a weasel.

I can easily do without the bother and am more than happy holding my head high if I walk away, yet I still feel like I shouldn't be leaving him in the proverbial.

He hates me, but he needs me. Without me, he's gonna be many thousands of pounds out of pocket!

Quite an interesting situation to be in.

Suppose you could try to organise a meeting to resolve both your issues or at least communicate via email so you have some kind of record. On the other hand though if he's got personal and rude about your family then that would be a hard one for me to swallow.
If you do decide to crack on then maybe get him to sign something to the effect of him being happy with the work completed so far and final payment to be made on X date regardless with no retention on money as long as work has been completed to spec an current regs (or along those lines).

As already said, I can't take money up front unless he's willing to pay me three and a half grand in cash up front. I can't see that happening some how.

Maybe it's worth a shot though.

I need to sleep on it I reckon.

It's good to get views from varying angles though.

As already said, I can't take money up front unless he's willing to pay me three and a half grand in cash up front. I can't see that happening some how.

Maybe it's worth a shot though.

I need to sleep on it I reckon.

It's good to get views from varying angles though.

You could if a third party such as a solicitor or architect held the payment. It could form part of the mediation process that I have suggested be set out and followed for the interests of both parties.

Reply to Leaving jobs before completion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net