Discuss Led Batten choice - help needed with voltage input in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting in new lighting in my garage but some of the led battens i've looked at have a fixed power voltage supply such as this 240v (https://www.screwflix..com/p/led-batten-45w-4000lm-5ft/5440r) and some have variable ones such as this 220-265v (LED Batten Linear Tube Light Ceiling Surface Mount Light 30cm/60cm/90cm/120cm | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201744642441?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true). Will the eBay ones work if they are directly connected to the mains or do I need an accessory so the voltage is set? This may sound ridiculous to a lot of you but as I am not an electrician, I thought I would ask on here before I buy them and they turn out not to work, as you can see 10 battens for less than £80 is a steal..

I know this isn't the question asked, but I'd be very cautious with those cheapo Chinese LED battens.

Electrically the LED drivers can be... dubious at best. They're often made with cheap components run at or beyond their recommended rating, so may not last anywhere near the time they should. (Can often be inefficient too.) Sometimes they also come with cheap, crappy, short bits of flex poking out that you can't replace without hacking the unit open, meaning to connect them to anything realistic you need to fit a junction box nearby.

Ignoring all that though, often the fixings are made of thinnest, crappiest plastic going and barely hold on as it is - so the slightest knock, vibration, etc. they can come crashing down. Not what you want, especially in a garage where said knocks and vibrations may be more likely to occur.

I know it's tempting when funds are tight, but a false economy IMHO. Do it once, spend a bit more and do it right.

9 times out of 10 it's the driver that fails. Saying that, most drivers/LED fittings are rated for a range of voltages so provided yours aren't being over driven they should be okay. Not sure how they handle circuits with lots of spikes or surges though.
Talking of drivers, currently using a 12V 8.5A LED driver supply to power external signal and lighting. So far it's performed without fail for over a year in temps from -10c to +40C. Not all are cheapo chinese rubbish!

Reply to Led Batten choice - help needed with voltage input in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock