Discuss LED Downlights Cut into joists in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LewisM

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hello, I replaced some halogen down lights that had been fitted for about 15 years with some GU10s with LED Lamps in them I notices that three of them where cut into the joists a tad and had pipes hard up against them, do you think this is reason to move them or just leave as be, the old halogens had been in for years with no problems?

Thanks Lewis

LED Downlights Cut into joists IMG_20200616_135924 - EletriciansForums.netLED Downlights Cut into joists IMG_20200616_135924 - EletriciansForums.netLED Downlights Cut into joists IMG_20200616_135924 - EletriciansForums.netLED Downlights Cut into joists IMG_20200616_140415 - EletriciansForums.netLED Downlights Cut into joists IMG_20200616_135924 - EletriciansForums.netLED Downlights Cut into joists IMG_20200616_140415 - EletriciansForums.netLED Downlights Cut into joists IMG_20200616_140500 - EletriciansForums.netLED Downlights Cut into joists IMG_20200616_140549 - EletriciansForums.net

original post deleted,
edit. I misread, I'd be looking at manufacturers instructions if you have replaced the original fittings as well as lamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda agree with Radiohead...much less heat now than before. I presume Bill and Ben fitted the originals?

original post deleted,
edit. I misread, I'd be looking at manufacturers instructions if you have replaced the original fittings as well as lamps.

Doesn't actually state distances just away from insulation and joists which it is not, the ceiling has been over boarded I can't understand why they didn't fit them properly originally.

Kinda agree with Radiohead...much less heat now than before. I presume Bill and Ben fitted the originals?

Yes old lights were halogens with plant pots over them.

The thing with fitting these downlights is...measure, measure measure...
put a test probe through the ceiling (long thin spike)...move and adjust...
i had to install 10 in my daughter's bedroom...ended up 2 x 5 like the 5 pattern on a dice...
ok, so there were a few tiny pinholes to put some filler in, but end result was fine. Of course, if you have limited time...but then, why not just take the time and do the job properly?
Because you have 5 EICRs to do the same day!

Especially as in this situation its a bungalow so easy to pop into loft and check whats there.

Precisely! If there's access from above, there's no excuse.
I fitted numerous downlights in my kitchen...bedroom above.
There were fitted wardrobes in the bedroom, so I lifted the flooring in the wardrobes, and could sight down the spaces between the joists...easy job! Brought the supply into the void under the wardrobe floor, sent the cable down the gaps, just good fun, really!
Ferret wifi hadn't been invented then...great bit of kit!

Imo if you are just swapping the lights I would leave where they are
[automerge]1593281466[/automerge]
Oh and put those flower pots back in the Potting shed where They belong...

Bill and Ben may have installed them, but now those flower pots can be used for a Little Weed!
[automerge]1593281965[/automerge]
I commend this to you all...but I am reliably informed that those control wires were latterly changed to 0.75 mutistrand to improve flexibility and to provide a better path for fault current...maybe
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kW7h-5lLC4

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't have put replacement downlights in that have removeable lamps. I know you have put in LED's so the amount of heat next to the joist will be negligible, but at some point someone will put a 50w halogen in. I don't usually fit integrated LED downlights, but in this case I would have.

Also, this is assuming that the existing downlights are just right up against the joist and not actually cut into it (its difficult to tell from your pictures). I wouldn't replace them if they had been cut into the joists as I feel I would be taking some responsibility. I would have told the client to get someone in to check it was safe.

Yeah in places they are cut into the joists, I understand where you are coming from as the one I removed to check hole size originally was done properly, and got the lights and lamps etc and just went ahead with it and now as you say I feel responsibility for the job. I told the guy to only use 5W LED lamps but as you say one day you never know....

Hmmm...interesting point there.
But the chances of someone putting a 50W halogen in there at some future date is fairly unlikely...not totally impossible, I agree, but in the overall scheme of things, and bearing in mind the incompatibility of halogen and LED...
Not sure about your point re up against or actually cutting into the joist...either is a hazard with halogen...it's marginal, I know, but to walk away from the job, when there has clearly not been an issue previously...I dunno...
not looking for an argument, my friend, just a discussion...
and following my complete renewal of halogens for LED, if you need about 50 halogen GU10s. let me know!
[automerge]1593283106[/automerge]
You got the right lamps, you gave the right advice...what more can you do?
An email to the client, confirming what you did, why, and what not to do in the future...that's all you can do. keep a record of it...in 20 years time some idiot will fit 50W halogens he bought cheap...not your problem, he will have changed the characteristics of the circuit, not you.
Before some of you jump on my case...you can never guard against the folks who use circuits for a purpose they were not designed for...and you should bear no liability for that.

Last edited:

Reply to LED Downlights Cut into joists in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock