Discuss LED drivers not giving out correct voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rob Alldis

-
DIY
Reaction score
I've just bought a bunch of led drivers (12VDC), but they're giving out between 24-32VDC. I'm assuming their faulty. However, testing my old halogen drivers (12VAC), the voltage their outputting on a dimmer (fully on) is only 7VAC. My multimeter seems fine - just getting a bit confused as wasn't expect the old drivers to be giving out less then expected

What's the spec and/or part number of the drivers? You may have the wrong type.

If you're driving LEDs that are 12V halogen replacements you need a driver with a 12V output. You may have a constant current supply which is meant for driving chains of LEDs or it's possible for a 12V driver to output higher voltage with no load. They could also be faulty as you suggest but it would be bad luck for them all to be faulty.

It may help to post a picture of the driver showing any text printed on it.

Electronic 'transformers' for halogens often deliver a waveform other than pure DC, which your meter may not read correctly, even if the RMS value is correct.

If the LED drivers are 12V CV, then as per Shoei the lack of load may cause the voltage to rise out of spec - Re-check with some load on.

Reply to LED drivers not giving out correct voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hey folks, i work for a relatively small company, but we are doing some big jobs. And right our headache is taking over outdoor lighting...
Replies
Views
I am currently looking to add 12v led cob strip lights to my mother's kitchen but confused what I need. There are currently mains wires under the...
Replies
Views
I purchased a house that has a really cool 12v halogen setup where two wires are suspended across the ceiling in two different locations, and each...
Replies
Views
Hi Forum people. First time post here. I have a pair of semi flush fittings that are currently 10 Halogen capsules per fitting. I want to...
Replies
Views
This week I nearly learned a hard lesson re this!! (using a Lutron RA2 inline dimmer to control 6x 700ma 13w LED fittings)...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock