Discuss Led panels in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Chaps, this guy has 16 x 40w led panels in his office. Now he wants them all switching by one occupancy sensor. But I'm concerned about the start up current, is there a sensor available that will cope? Or one that anyone can recommend. Cheers gents

I have fitted CP microwave sensors In loads of places and had the CP (CP products) chap come down to plan it out. There is no need for relay. The sensor does it fine. Although the highest amount I have fitted is eight. If you think about the original switch is rated to 10A (usually in these circuits) and the load is only 3A. EBDSPIR carries 6-8 A. I realise if you enquire of the manufacturer the initial draw is something insane on each LED panel This would technically be too much for even the MCB but the real world wins again Some of the panels have been in for 5 years no problems.In practice it has not been a problem. We fit JCC skytiles and they come with 7 year guarantee and the light quality is superb. Oh and I would say I use the IET Code of Practice book on LED.

job i did last year 20 40W panels on a 10A B type. never tripped.

Single sensor because there is one entrance to the room. It's a large room in an office block used for storage only. They walk in, walk back out. No need for multiple sensors. They're currently on a 1g switch, and the c10 mcbs holds out fine. They simply want a sensor in its place because people can't seem to get their head around the use of a switch. The contactor was always an option but I want to see if I can get a sensor to save faffing about first

You can replace the switch with a no neutral sensor type. As for the inrush current the only problem is will the mcb trip oh and the photocell in the sensor can it take it. As it occurs for 1ms it is not usually a problem. It would have shown up already if it is. But then you can always go for a type c mcb instead. Theoretically you would have a peak of 800 A for 1ms. However you cannot stack up the inrush current because it depends on the impedance of the circuit, length etc. as to what LED panel is drawing within the cycle. Apparently 90 degrees is the most vulnerable part of the cycle. We cannot calculate the inrush current without some very sophisticated equipment so we have to look to the manufacturer for guidance. JCC do say you may have to upgrade (to type C) your mcb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Single sensor because there is one entrance to the room. It's a large room in an office block used for storage only. They walk in, walk back out. No need for multiple sensors. They're currently on a 1g switch, and the c10 mcbs holds out fine. They simply want a sensor in its place because people can't seem to get their head around the use of a switch. The contactor was always an option but I want to see if I can get a sensor to save faffing about first
What about replacing the switch with a time lag switch. something similar to this Time Delay Switch | Time Delay and Time Lag Switches | green-i - http://www.cpelectronics.co.uk/green-i/products/timers/time-delay-switch

Reply to Led panels in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock