Discuss LED slim recessed round panel light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JLeague

-
DIY
Reaction score
So I am choosing my downlights and I was looking at the cylinder shaped fire rated downlights. The electrician mentioned look at LED slim recessed downlights as my new plasterboard ceiling would not be able to hold the weight of the standard fire rate downlights.

One thing I didnt clarify - who makes the holes for the downlights? Does the plasterer do this or the electrician after the ceiling has been plastered. Its a new ceiling thats going up.

LED slim recessed round panel light {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

can't see any reason why a platrboard ceiling can't support downlights.

and generally sparks cuts the holes in the board before the muck spreaders skim. ( but sometimes after. ). i'd not trust a plasterer to cut a hole for my granny's grave.

can't see any reason why a platrboard ceiling can't support downlights.

and generally sparks cuts the holes in the board before the muck spreaders skim. ( but sometimes after. ). i'd not trust a plasterer to cut a hole for my granny's grave.

I dont think I ever want to do any house renovations ever again. The electrician and plumbers were on the whole straight forward to deal with. The electrician has always turned up bang on 9am to start a full days job. The builders were never in before 10 and left by 4!

I normally start at any time between 7 and 9 in the morning.
Depends on travel time and if I have to collect materials.

The main point is that I arrive at an agreed time, if I say I will be there at 8, then I will be parking the van at 7.50 to be working by 8.

I can’t stand people saying things like “ I will be there about mid morning, got to pick up some stuff first” means any time between 9 and 12??

Roughly translates to, I have no respect for you or your schedule. I am arrogant enough to believe people don’t mind my timekeeping because I am the best tradesman in the country.

So I am choosing my downlights and I was looking at the cylinder shaped fire rated downlights. The electrician mentioned look at LED slim recessed downlights as my new plasterboard ceiling would not be able to hold the weight of the standard fire rate downlights.

One thing I didnt clarify - who makes the holes for the downlights? Does the plasterer do this or the electrician after the ceiling has been plastered. Its a new ceiling thats going up.

LED slim recessed round panel light {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
As a sparks I always cut my own holes, usually after its plastered and painted. Cant see any reason why a new plasterboard ceiling won't hold a canister type downlighter.

I think that if the ceiling can't withstand the weight of downlighters you need a new builder/ceiling that is of a more standard construction. Never heard the like of it!

My builders worked 8-4 although the main man usually made lots of excuses to clear off to collect materials. The best worker was a Romanian lad who travelled from north west London down to my place south of Guildford every day. He was a one man machine. Pitched up 0745 every morning and worked till 1600 on the dot. Fantastic work ethic. Suppose it all depends on how jobs are priced and whether or not you are paying a day rate.

Sorry if I am hi-jacking the thread.
Remodeling a small condo and thinking to use the thin wafer recessed LEDs, like in OP‘s picture.
I am using above average grade materials for the renovation and wanted to know from people in the trade if hi-end led fixtures are worth the money. The thin wafer lights can be bought for about $20 each, whereas some reputable names fixtures are $150-200 each with box, trim, etc. I just wanted to make sure I b am making a good decision using inexpensive lights in an expensive renovation.
I mean I see some lights that are $400-500 a can ( No. 8 lighting) and lights that are $20 a pop like I said. What do I consider making a decision? The ceiling is 8’ tall, will I get a lot more using expensive LEDs as opposed to cheap ones?
Thank you all

i use JCC V50 integrated downlights.not wafer thin, 2" deep. selectable warm/cool white. over here equivalent to around $20.

From what I'm seeing LED lighting has had many of the early creases ironed out.

Driver failures, discolouring, emitter failure etc were a real issue even with branded fittings.

I'm now seeing much improved reliability from branded items.

Let your wholesaler, if reputable, do the leg work and fit what they supply. They have had their fingers burnt with cheap suppliers, I know mine have.

Unless there are design or additional functionality benefits then I can't see what paying 10 times more gives you.

Reply to LED slim recessed round panel light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock