Discuss LED'S keep tripping the RCD when switched off? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I suspect that the new LED lighting has a high crest factor, where Crest factor is the peak amplitude of the waveform divided by the RMS value of the waveform. So when a number of new LED fittings are supplied by the original mcb the electromagnetic functionality of the mcb detects the high total peak current and trips the breaker. The rms value is low and therefore there is insufficient Ohmic heating to cause the thermal functionality of the mcb to operate.

This is why there is a limit on the number of LED fittings per mcb size - you mentioned 5. I suggest you modify the wiring to power the lighting from 2mcbs, 5 LED strips on each. Or a higher current mcb if the wiring allows to power all 10 but this is not to be preferred.

what-is-crest-factor-fig1.png

Reply to LED'S keep tripping the RCD when switched off? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hey all, hoping someone can help with a particularly annoying problem! Have changed a load of LED downlights to the fixed bulb Centorio type (14W...
Replies
Views
DIY query Have narrowed down the source of an occasional trip to one light circuit which is a varilight v-pro master dimmer slave set up. This...
Replies
Views
An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
I need your help please once again in tracing a fault. Am DIY but not clueless. Converting former kitchen into 2 rooms: bathroom and laundry. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I seem to have an RCD that keeps cutting the power at random times without actually tripping, if I reset it, the power comes on and will stay...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock