Discuss legal requirements in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
wanting advice on what I can legally carry out electrical with my qualification , I have my 2330 level 1.2.3 , and my 17th edition level 3 BS7671.
I know I can't self certify ,just would like some clarity on what I can legal do , I'm doing minor works like installing new light fittings and socket front , but more people are asking me if I can move sockets and such like .
any advice would be greatly appreciated

legally you can do anything you want. it's when things go wrong that you may have problems. just take on work that you are competent to do and are confident with.

What Tel said ☝️
Tests and Certificates still required for Minor Works, see BS7671 Appendix 6 (p417). And I would always recommend Public Liability Insurance, as mistakes can happen.

What are you doing at the minute when you do minor works? Which certificate are you using, etc. Daz

What are you doing at the minute when you do minor works? Which certificate are you using, etc. Daz
I've just been putting up light fittings,socket front ,replacing sockets ,just been to look at a job , old house , all electrics have been tested previously ,old socket attached to skirting board need moving , ie chasing out back boxes , additional socket in bedroom only one at moment , I'm sure I can do the work legally but not certify,

As above, you can certify your own work. You can download certificates from the IET and fill them - you may want to have a set of calibrated test equipment so you can record the test results.
However
You may be confusing certification with notification.

Under the approved document for Part P, certain works must be notified to the local authority. (Its a legal requirement)
Those works are detailed in the approved document but, briefly they are new circuits, change of consumer unit and works in defined special locations.

To notify works there are two main methods
1. Raise a building Notice with the local authority - before work starts - and pay their fee (its usually more than £200). The LABC will want to inspect the works at various stages and expect it to be tested and certified PROPERLY. They may appoint one of their electricians to do this (extra ££).
or
2. You need to join one of the CPS (NECEIC, NAPIT, etc) and then you can NOTIFY the work you have done with your CPS. The cost of notification by this method is anly a couple of pounds, oh plus your membership costs, budget about £700 a year for cost of membership plus ancilliaries .

Footnote:
If you doing work for others, in either case, you need to get yourself some Public Liability insurance.

Agree with above - you are confusing what certifying actually is. The extra bedroom socket should be tested and certified. Daz

all electrics have been tested previously
That may well have been, but your 2330 training will tell you that you must test any work that you do. AFTER you have done the work!!
for example, you replace a socket but one of the wires is not connected properly. You will spot that has happened when you do the continuity test on the ring, otherwise the ring may well functionally work, but the cable has a chance of being overloaded...

As above, you can certify your own work. You can download certificates from the IET and fill them - you may want to have a set of calibrated test equipment so you can record the test results.
However
You may be confusing certification with notification.

Under the approved document for Part P, certain works must be notified to the local authority. (Its a legal requirement)
Those works are detailed in the approved document but, briefly they are new circuits, change of consumer unit and works in defined special locations.

To notify works there are two main methods
1. Raise a building Notice with the local authority - before work starts - and pay their fee (its usually more than £200). The LABC will want to inspect the works at various stages and expect it to be tested and certified PROPERLY. They may appoint one of their electricians to do this (extra ££).
or
2. You need to join one of the CPS (NECEIC, NAPIT, etc) and then you can NOTIFY the work you have done with your CPS. The cost of notification by this method is anly a couple of pounds, oh plus your membership costs, budget about £700 a year for cost of membership plus ancilliaries .

Footnote:
If you doing work for others, in either case, you need to get yourself some Public Liability insurance.
Agree with above - you are confusing what certifying actually is. The extra bedroom socket should be tested and certified. Daz
Agree with above - you are confusing what certifying actually is. The extra bedroom socket should be tested and certified. Daz[/QUOTE)
I'll have to tell them I can't do the job in that case , thanks for your help

I'll have to tell them I can't do the job in that case , thanks for your help

I do not understand why. Extending an existing circuit is not notifiable works, so no LABC involvement.
You obviously have the know-how with your 2330. You'd only need relatively basic tests to provide a minor works certificate, or are you saying that you do not have the test equipment?

I do not understand why. Extending an existing circuit is not notifiable works, so no LABC involvement.
You obviously have the know-how with your 2330. You'd only need relatively basic tests to provide a minor works certificate, or are you saying that you do not have the test equipment?
no I have equipment and know how to get minor works certificate , Its my qualifications I'm concern about and the legal side,I test all my work when I've finished

You do not need ANY qualifications to do this work. A degree of competence is all that is required, I would think that you have that if you have 2330 level 3 plus 17th edition. You should be good to get on with it.

Don't forget the current regs have dropped "competent" as a definition its now Skilled and Trained.
So as long as your training covered the work you are doing and your skill level meets or exceeds the BS7671 requirements then you are ok.
Obviously public liability min £2million and do the tests and issue your own minor works certificates.

thanks for your advice , you've been a great help ,I think will also find out about Public liability insurance, cheers
try "simply business" for your PL insurance. about £75 -£85 for 2mill. inc. tools cover£1500.

Direct line quoted me around £90 for 2mil cover (basic policy)

Reply to legal requirements in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock